WIP: The Morelli Building

DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
edited June 2023 in Show and Tell
Recently I read a heist fanfic which had this description of a 20 story skyscraper with a 12 story vault inside.

"This is the core," Charlie pointed out a dotted structure inside the wireframe. "It's basically a big concrete box that runs from the 7th floor to the 18th."

Al continued, "This core is basically a giant vault or secured section of the building. It's supported on four massive pillars," Charlie pointed them out on the diagram, "That run down to, and are attached to the foundation. You could probably blow up the rest of the building and the core would be sitting there laughing at you."

"Fire doors are exit only and have a series of locks that must be disengaged to open them. How they got that past the Fire Marshal I have no idea except that somebody probably got very rich."

"Now let's talk about the elevators. There are six of them. Four passenger and two freight. Three of the passenger and one of the freight run from the lowest six floors to the 20th floor. They run in a shaft up the center of the vault. As I mentioned, the elevator shafts are flooded with ultrasonics whenever the elevators are not running. Also the walls are steel and have thermocouples to measure temperature change, so no cutting allowed. These four elevators have the limited biometrics I mentioned."

"The other two elevators are the only way into the core. The run from the 20th floor down to the 7th. The is a series of man traps at their top elevator lobby and a small force of armed guards on station at all times. Then they have the additional biometrics, a key lock, and a keypad which I think was thrown in as a joke. "

The illustration below shows the fire stairs and the support pillar. The window in the stairwell will be replaced by a steel door on the ground level. This is repeated in each corner of the building.

I changed the elevator descriptions slightly. The illustration below is accurate from the basement to floor 6.
  • P1 is an express passenger elevator that stops at the basement and floors 1, 6, 19 and 20. Its hoist mechanism on the roof.
  • P2 and P3 are local passenger elevators that go from the basement to the 5th floor with hoist mechanisms on the 6th. Offices are on floors 1 through 5. (There is no P2 shaft above the 6th floor.)
  • P4 is the passenger elevator that serves the vault (floors 7 to 18) and can only be accessed on the 19th floor. It uses the same shaft as P3 and has its hoist mechanism on the 20th floor.
  • C1 is the main cargo elevator that stops at the basement and floors 1 through 6, 19 and 20. Its hoist mechanism on the roof.
  • C2 is the cargo elevator that serves the vault (floors 7 to 18) and can only be accessed on the 19th floor. It uses a shaft next to P4 opposite C1 and has its hoist mechanism on the 20th floor.

The 6th floor contains mostly machinery, security barracks and IT servers but no rentable office space. I've created a general template for the above ground floors with all the windows, interior walls and doors but it still needs a bit of tweaking (lights mainly, both internal and external streetlights). I want to make the basement a parking level but I'm unsure how long and wide the ramps from the street level should be. I will post individual floorplans as I make them. Any help or suggestions will be welcome.
QuentenLoopysueMonsenJimPGlitchRicko Hasche

Comments

• thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    On your ramps, maybe some helpful suggestions and / or further reading here: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/88115/maximum-vehicle-ramp-slope

Looking forward to how you do the rest of the building!

• So using the example above if the maximum slope was 12.5% a 10 foot elevation would require a total ramp length of 90 feet (two 10' transition slopes plus a 70' center ramp). The recommended one-way ramp width is 4.5m or 15 feet.
    GlitchJimP
  • I use trigonometry I learned in high school to calculate stair and ramp angles/lengths for my dungeons.

Well, I had to get one of those 2 page trigonometry help things from a bookstore, but I got it done.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

A wise man once said that "The difference between a ramp and a slide is mostly a matter of degree. And polish." Maybe he was just a wise guy, though.

Loopysue
  • Speaking of ramps, I've got the basement and 1st floor mostly done sans furniture. The buttons on the left indicate the current floor with hotspots around the grey ones to load other floors. Starting from the bottom then.

I'm not sure what to put down here besides parking. Each ramp only goes one way. I tried to leave enough space for cars to maneuver. The environmental and other support machinery will be on the 6th floor. Where can I find a disabled parking symbol for special needs parking?

I had to move some rooms around on the 1st floor to make room for the ramps. I may add some street furniture around the building. As you can see it's empty now but I'll figure out how to furnish the rooms … eventually. ;)
    LoopysueRicko HascheGlitchJimPEukalyptusNowMythal82
  • I had a ramp in my old Crestar's Dwarf Home. About 50 degree slope. Would have required ropes to get down. They chose to not go that way. Good thing to, as there was a gelatinous cube dispenser above that ramp. Five of them, all hungry.