Cannot select entity for use with Offset

After not using CC3+ for a few years, I am trying to get back into it. I decided to use the One-Day Worldbuilder as a start and have run into a a problem on the frame creation. Coincidentally, three years ago I was asking a question about a different step in the same process. The frustrating thing, here, is that I have done this successfully several times, back when I was still actively using CC3+.

In the step that uses Offset to make the frame, I cannot select the background rectangle copy as an entity. The command simply will not. It just cycles back to the initial command prompt whenever I click anywhere in, on, or near the rectangle. I do the following:

Make MAP BORDER layer active

Show only the BACKGROUND sheet

Copy the rectangle from BACKGROUND (Attach on, select lower left corner)

Make only FRAME visible

Paste rectangle (use 0,0 for coordinates)

Select DRAW -> OFFSET

Enter a distance of 200

Click on rectangle - I've tried clicking all over it

And that is a far as I can get. I tried changing properties, just to make sure I could select the rectangle, and that does not work, either. I've also noticed that if I make the BACKGROUND sheet visible, then hide it, after pasting the rectangle into FRAME, the rectangle disappears. It seems like the rectangle I paste into FRAME is not actually there.

I really have no idea where I am going wrong this time

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

What kind of entity is the background entity? Use List on it (Info menu) to find out. If it's a multipoly nothing will work on it. You would need to explode it first.

If that's not the case may we see the FCW file please?

• According to List it is a 2D Polygon. It's the rectangle that is the background/deep-sea color from the One-Day Worldbuilder. Here is the FCW

Oh. I think you've tried this a few times now. There are many identical polygons on the BACKGROUND sheet, and nothing on the FRAME sheet at all.

Re-reading your description is it possible that you've been using Copy and Paste to try and copy the background to the FRAME sheet? If so, all those copies have gone straight back to the sheet they were copied from, and not the FRAME sheet at all. You would need to use 'Copy to Sheet' in the right click menu of the Sheets and Effects button.

To sort out the existing problem with loads of copies exactly on top of one another on the BACKGROUND sheet, I would delete them and redraw just the one polygon on the BACKGROUND sheet, then use the Copy to Sheet command to get a single copy of it on the FRAME sheet.

I realise now that I've re-read the instructions that there is a weakness at that point where I don't actually mention using Copy to Sheet but assume that's how it will be done.

• Copy to Sheet... I forgot ALL about that. I remember now. Thank you, Loopysue!! You rock.

Well not entirely. I should have been more specific right there ;)

But you're welcome :)

JimP