Modern mapping questions

Like the image with the Republic of Alster in the examples for symbol set 3 Modern. I am trying to figure out how to have those outlines like the green & pink on the land mass. As well as how the mountain contours blend into the color of the map.

Im having issues with my own map, I cannot figure out how to do the outlining and the contours for my maps are their own color and stand out a lot. If anyone has seen any videos or has any guides please let me know, I cannot find a thing.

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2023

In the original FCW file the colour borders are on a sheet called BORDERS. All they are is simple solid colour polygons of pink and green with sheet effects applied. This is the map without sheet effects.

And this is the same map with sheet effects applied.

If you have the 2010 Cartographer's Annual you will have a template for this kind of map from the Modern Political issue, and can use it to make a map of this style yourself. Or if you just want to use the same technique in a different style the main sheet effect to apply to a new sheet in your map with the coloured polygons on it is the Edge Fade, which leaves just the faded edge of the polygon in place.

I hope that answers your question?

• Okay, is that map somewhere already downloaded for me with the symbols? Id like to play around with it, this is quite helpful. Im fairly new to the software and need to watch more tutorials as I have not learned about the effects on the sheets yet. Thank you!

edited June 2023

Try looking for Annual Modern Political when you create a new overland map with your own settings in the new map wizard. The template should be included with SS3.

However, I think you might not have the Mapping Guide in SS3, since this style was originally a separate issue in the 2010 Cartographer's Annual, called Modern Political (hence the "Annual" prefix to the template name). If it's there it will be in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Annual\Issue 42 - Modern Political

EDIT: Or maybe you will have the same template as SS3 Modern Political

• Yeah I dont have that annual. I still am having issues, I keep making the land mass transparent. Do you know if Joe Sweeney has a guide on this? I think this also may have something to do with the other issue I'm having with this not being transparent.

• Im not sure what I did, but the terrain is blending properly now, however I cannot figure out the border trick

Click the little colour swatch at the top and pick your colour from the palette

Then hit OK and pick the All Map Drawing Tools button and pick the drawing tool you want to use from there.

Drawing tools can be used to draw the coloured polygons and also have a few more options that the primitive shapes on the right hand toolbars do not. You can trace with a drawing tool to copy the shape of the landmass exactly, and stop tracing if you want to then take the border right across the land. Those options are covered in the command line instructions at the bottom if you keep an eye on it.

The drawn polygon will initially look like a solid polygon of colour. It is only when you force a redraw of the screen (hit the redraw button or CTRL+R) that the sheet effects will appear and you will be left with the desired border.

Separate and more generally useful tip: if you are feeling a bit lost with the controls it may help quite a lot to familiarise yourself with the way everything works. I found the example in the User Manual really helpful when I was all new at this myself.

• Sweet, got it, I was first trying by coloring the landmass itself & when I was trying with the borders I used the other borders, not the Nation Background one. I have kind of jumped into the software after watching just an introduction video from Josh Plunkett. I struggled to try to learn from just the manual or the pages I find like this https://www.profantasy.com/cchelp/CC2/HowTo_CreateSymbols.htm I have learned more by seeing the visuals & videos. I'll be watching a lot more from Josh & Joe, thank you a lot for the help Loopysue!

You're welcome :)

Profantasy also has a channel full of Live Mapping sessions which Remy has indexed on this page of collected tutorials if you are interested:

https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/10519/video-tutorials/p1

JulianDracos