Install and Organization

Hello Community,

I am returning to use this software after many many years and I would say what I knew I have forgotten. I wanted to ask some direction that I am sure already exists somewhere and all I need is a pointer. Two parts to it:

1. Product installation not sure if there is a proper order of installing things other than load CC3 and all of it's patches first followed by CD3 and DD3. If there is would love to hear it.
  2. Organization: I have seen master mappers on Youtube go to start a map and they have this nice organized expansive list of styles and when they access symbols it is very much the same. Is there any guidance on how to keep everything organized like this or perhaps it is simply how you go about starting a new map.

Any advice appreciated and my thanks in advance.

Comments

1. That is pretty much correct. Once you have CC3 installed with the updates, it doesn't really matter what order you install everything else in.
    2. CC3 organizes everything by style. When you go to create a map, you select the style. If you want to use symbols from a different style, you simply navigate to the already existing style folder. So there is no reason for you to organize things yourself. Now, if you want to create your own style, there are ways to do that, in which case the symbols, fills, etc. will be organized under your self-created style.
    Frosty
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Thanks Julian for the quick response! Sounds like I just need to sit down and practice a bit starting maps. My own style, you just jumped to the advanced topic. That actually plays into what i was just thinking as I need to create a cave map that will be in dry red rock and will end up in carved chambers. I will need to dig around and see if there is a style of coloration that exists that can lend itself to that look and feel.

I am guessing I may need to invest in a couple annuals for additional symbols and styles etc.. in particular because I am trying to create 1920 Call of Cthulhu related stuff and most of the base things are focused around fantasy. Not they could not be used for CoC mind you.

• Since I have multiple websites, I have folders on my hard drive that match them so I can easily find the maps I'm working on.

Frosty
  • As Jim pointed out, there isn't a default save map area. So, you should create a folder or multiple folders to organize your maps.

As for CoC, CC3 is too heavily dependent on fantasy. A map style was released for June in steampunk style. I haven't played with it yet, but since it mimics the default Schley so that it can be used with the symbol packs, it still looks way too fantasy to me based on the sample map.

In any case, there are some C0C options. The 2011 has an overland and floorplan maps circa 1930. The 2015 has the Dracula Dossier floorplan. 2016 has an 1800's floorplan and 2017 has Cthulhu City.

There is also a couple of threads with CoC maps. One using the 1930's street map and another just a more recent style. A Live Stream was done yesterday about trains. I haven't watched it yet, but whatever style is used there could also be useful for you.

JimP
  • I always reinstall the latest CC3+Update at the very end of reinstalling, even though I will have installed it near at the beginning as well

JimPFrosty