Snow, desert and grassland

Hi, just got the Campaign Cartographer 3 and its really good. I'm using it to make a map of the world of the book I'm writing and my world has an icy wastes to the north and the rest of the continent is grassland but as far as I can find, there is no way to make a small section of the landmass into snow like terrain. The closest thing I could find was to draw a land mass with that particular terrain. Is there a way to make one landmass but with two terrain types on it? This may seem like a dumb question but I can seem to find a way on my own. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What you need to do is to paint the landmass itself, then paint the terrain on top of it, using a separate polygon. Use the terrain drawing tools for this, as they will be positioned above the landmass (covering it). When you use the terrain tool, you'll notice that the command line has an option for Trace (t) after placing the first point. Hit the T key to start tracing, and use this to align your terrain perfectly to the landmass border where needed.
  • Ive taken your advise but the terrain drawer puts in a random line that I didn't tell it to do after I've finished tracing which causes half the continent to change.
  • Never mind, I think I've sorted that problem. The terrain types dont look like the color it shows. Meaning I use a white terrain type and it puts it on the map as a dark green.
  • The land mass tool doesn't use the color of the color button.

Go to the upper left of CC3 and right click on the land mass tool icon. You will now get a popup showing what land masses are available.

Click the Advanced button, you now have more possibilities. I don't see a snow or ice one though.
  • edited December 2009
    You can see what I did for the Forest/Grassland conversion (Below). I mostly used symbols (tree) and (marsh/grass) to designate the difference in terrain. I used terrain overlays for the different kinds of soil for the mountains / rough mountains. I don't get a lot of feedback on my maps, so I can't say if I am doing it right or not ^^

As for snow cover I modified the grass, changing the color from green to bone-white (you don't want absolute white) and got the desired effect with layering terrain. I don't have an example of that one to show you. Sorry.

Click For The Example Map!

-Avotas
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited December 2009
    Hi Joutja,

There were a recent discussion about this you might be interested in seeing: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1330&page=1