Creating houses without outer space

How can I make only the houses corners visible, so that the outside of the house doesn't show?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2023

I am a bit unsure what you mean here. Do you want to make the map smaller, so it fits snugly around just the house?

If so, there are a couple of ways to do it. One of them is to use File -> Resize Drawing Area and make the map smaller. This will not move the house into position however, so the best approach is to use the Move,Scale,Rotate command to move the house and all it's components down into the left corner first. Just make sure to select everything so you move it all at once so you retain the relative positioning.

Another option is to start a new map of a smaller size, then use clipboard copy (Edit -> Copy) to copy the house and and components to the new map.

If you need to figure out the size of your house to input into the resize/new map dialogs, you can measure it with Info -> Distance.

Of course, considering the shape of your house, there will always be a bit "outside" in the lower left part.

LoopysueGlitch
  • NikodeNikode Newcomer

Um, I just wanted my map so that only the house if visible, not the things around the walls.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

If you only want to see the house, you can hide the BACKGROUND and MAP BORDER sheets, as well as KEY and KEY TEXT.

• NikodeNikode Newcomer

Somehow I cant hide the "BACKGROUND" button:

I placed the RGB matrix option to it.

• taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor

You can't hide it because it's the active sheet (the checkbox on the left is checked). Select any other sheet, and you'll be able to hide Background.

• 18 days later
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Would just making the area outside the walls a different color also be suitable? So leave the gray background inside the floor plan but somehow turn what is outside of it plain white or parchment. I guess it depends on how your going to display the floor plans.

• Or just make the outer wall, the width of the map. But any shape house that isn't square or rectangular will still have outside the walls areas.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Not 100% related but I have a map of a large cavern that my eyes were bigger than my stomach as my mother use to say. I made the caverns in this complex way way too big. I wish there was an easy way of shrinking in the cavern walls without messing up everything else. Scaling would not work.. if there was a way to drag those walls in I imagine I could group the symbols in areas near the walls and use a move command to move them inwards. But I have yet to see a way to correct the walls of the cavern easily. you can see all the wasted space in this... and lol if there was something better to represent a giant stone door on the northwall that gives off a glow..I had imagined blue glow.. other than this stain glass window I used I am all ears.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Why would scaling not work?

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Woould scaling not also shrink the scale of all the other symbols I have on the map? I imagine i could do that if it worked on the cave wall but then I would need to go in and increase the scale of all the other objects correct? So i guess technically it would work, but it would be a lot of work.

I am leaning towards lessoned learned do not do this next time.

You can scale just the polygon of the cave by picking only that polygon. The only problem you will have then is moving the symbols inwards so they appear in the cave.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

I will see if I can figure out how to do that. Moving the symbols is a lot easier than rescaling them again.. or maybe not I guess I am about to find out.

When you use the scaling tool pick only the edge of the polygon you want to scale and hit D for do it. The symbols, having not been selected, will not be scaled.

JimP