1920s Town

Here's a town map I made. It's based on Arnoldsberg, Michigan (from the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set mission 'Paper Chase'.

I based it loosely on a map of the town today, adding and changing some details.

I also discovered when making this that the 'fill with stamp' tool doesn't work for these little trees - I think because they're vector images. It worked fine with raster symbols.

Tagged:
LoopysueRalfMapjunkieMonsenWyvernEukalyptusNowroflo1GlitchCalibreJaysOutand 9 others.

Comments

• 15 days later
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

This does look good Kit and of particular interest to me since I been running a CoC campgin and just getting back into using CC3. So far just created a very crude cave map I am not happy with. Made it too big and did not have the coloration I wanted as it was or is in South Dakota in an area that is mostly red rock and dirt.

• @Frosty Oh cool! I'm new to CC3 - the cave map was the first one I did (I bit off the very maximum I could chew!). It's not very historically/geographically accurate though. I have no idea about what rock and dirt colours, etc to use...

Me and my players are European, so I'm hoping nobody notices!

Let me know how it goes for you! One of my big draws for CC3 was the availability of materials for Cthulhu! I'd love to see anything you create.

Frosty
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Once I create some things that look halfway good I will post them. And honestly what is important is do the maps in things help your players visualize what your trying to imagine. How historically accurate I think is secondary. :-) I did create this overland journey map but it needs a lot of work to be good.

However, it still will work as a visual prop in the game.

I need to find something better to use for the trail and take my time moving the panes etc so they line up. + The map could use a few text labels as what you see in the background is a bitmap of 1920 world map. Due to size etc I am starting to think what I need to do is connect the circular graphic to the trail via a different line and put the text label there it make more room.

MonsenLoopysueJimPRicko HascheEukalyptusNow
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Not sure if this looks better or not but need to move on to work on other things. May come back to this later.

I was going for a yellow solid line at first thinking of the indi movies. May come back to this and change the line color maybe add and affect to it.

JimPMaidhc O CasainKit FlemonsLoopysueRicko HascheEukalyptusNow
  • Oh! Nice! I was actually thinking I need to do something like that... My players might be heading to Berlin soon...

• 14 days later
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

I know my players want to head to Berlin but they seem attracted to Devils Tower Wyoming. I know I saw a map of the Black Hills someone had, need to see if they are a closer more detailed view of Devils tower before I attempt to create it

• Basically it is a basalt lava tube. Not circular though. From a news article of someone climbing it, it looks like the Giant footsteps in Scotland. There is enough spread here and there to make it sort of climbable. No trees on top. Its on a slight rise.

There are a number of Native American legends about how it got there.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Aye, I saw that it was hexonganal tubes but were just more worn than the Giant Footsteps. As for the legends I looked up and recorded several for findings in the library etc. There is also the story that it was called Devils tower due to the mistake of a Army Col's interpreter. Called Bear Butte or Bear Lodge etc by the true locals. And as you might image the legends usually involve a bear.

And correct the top looks flat from teh bottom but is in fact not more like a low mound.

• The one I read of was some sisters were fleeing a giant bear. They prayed for help from the Great Spirit. He raised the mound up so they wouldn't be killed, the bear grew, the mound raised higher. The gaps are from his claws. The bear kept growing, so the sisters were placed in the sky, as the Pleiades star cluster.

• FrostyFrosty Surveyor

That is one of several. Seems like different tribes from the area each have their own stories most deal with Bears and seem related. below some notes I captured around Devils Tower. The links are to the wiki where I found the information or at least most of it.

Native Americans call this place by many names "Bear's House" or "Bear's Lodge" (or "Bear's Tipi", "Home of the Bear", "Bear's Lair"); Cheyenne, Lakota: Matȟó Thípila, Crow: Daxpitcheeaasáao ("Home of Bears", "Aloft on a Rock" (Kiowa), "Tree Rock", "Great Gray Horn", and "Brown Buffalo Horn" (Lakota: Ptehé Ǧí).

Col Dodge

According to the traditional beliefs of Native American peoples, the Kiowa and Lakota, a group of girls went out to play and were spotted by several giant bears, who began to chase them. In an effort to escape the bears, the girls climbed atop a rock, fell to their knees, and prayed to the Great Spirit to save them. Hearing their prayers, the Great Spirit made the rock rise from the ground towards the heavens so that the bears could not reach the girls. The bears, in an effort to climb the rock, left deep claw marks in the sides, which had become too steep to climb. Those are the marks which appear today on the sides of Devils Tower. When the girls reached the sky, they were turned into the stars of the Pleiades.

Another version tells that two Sioux boys wandered far from their village when Mato the bear, a huge creature that had claws the size of tipi poles, spotted them, and wanted to eat them for breakfast. He was almost upon them when the boys prayed to Wakan Tanka the Creator to help them. They rose up on a huge rock, while Mato tried to get up from every side, leaving huge scratch marks as he did. Finally, he sauntered off, disappointed and discouraged. The bear came to rest east of the Black Hills at what is now Bear Butte. Wanblee, the eagle, helped the boys off the rock and back to their village. A painting depicting this legend by artist Herbert A. Collins hangs over the fireplace in the visitor center at Devils Tower.

In a Cheyenne version of the story, the giant bear pursues the girls and kills most of them. Two sisters escape back to their home with the bear still tracking them. They tell two boys that the bear can only be killed with an arrow shot through the underside of its foot. The boys have the sisters lead the bear to Devils Tower and trick it into thinking they have climbed the rock. The boys attempt to shoot the bear through the foot while it repeatedly attempts to climb up and slides back down leaving more claw marks each time. The bear was finally scared off when an arrow came very close to its left foot. This last arrow continued to go up and never came down.

Wooden Leg, a Northern Cheyenne, related another legend told to him by an old man as they were traveling together past the Devils Tower around 1866–1868. An Indigenous man decided to sleep at the base of Bear Lodge next to a buffalo head. In the morning he found that both he and the buffalo head had been transported to the top of the rock by the Great Medicine with no way down. He spent another day and night on the rock with no food or water. After he had prayed all day and then gone to sleep, he awoke to find that the Great Medicine had brought him back down to the ground, but left the buffalo head at the top near the edge. Wooden Leg maintained that the buffalo head was clearly visible through the old man's spyglass. At the time, the tower had never been climbed and a buffalo head at the top was otherwise inexplicable.

The buffalo head gives this story special significance for the Northern Cheyenne. All the Cheyenne maintained in their camps a sacred teepee to the Great Medicine containing the tribal sacred objects. In the case of the Northern Cheyenne, the sacred object was a buffalo head.

• 7 days later
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

Started working on this today but think I am to start over as i am not liking how some of the walls overlap and I am questioning my use of black and white stuff inside.

Ricko HascheJimP
  • FrostyFrosty Surveyor

This is how the first floor ended up. Not totally done. But it is done for today.

QuentenLautiLoopysue
  • 4 months later
  • Last few maps I made for CoC have been from Dungeon Alchemist. it is good for some things but not others and has a less content. Though I have seen some 3D symbols 100% CoC related that the fan base has made. For example a statue of the King in yellow etc