Why doesn't edit work?

I made a new map in the Inked Dungeons style. I right-clicked the wall button and chose Wall, 0.5. And I drew some walls.

Now I want to edit one of the walls I drew. I right-clicked the wall button and chose Wall, 0.5, but this time instead of drawing walls, I typed e to edit. It asked me to pick a point. I picked the end of one of my walls. But the command line just went back to "Paths: First point (E - Edit):".

By contrast, if I use the room tool to draw a room first, then repeat the above sequence, when I type e to edit, it immediately picks one of the points on the room as if that's what I'm trying to edit. It's like it doesn't see my (non-room) walls at all.

Best Answer

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

Everything that overlaps itself in CC3+ causes that effect. It is a result from calculating what is on the outside (not to be filled) and what is on the inside (to be filled) of the shape.

The solution to that problem is always to ensure a line or poly doesn't overlap itself. If you need to have an overlap, then split the line into two separate lines. If split along an edge and not in a corner, you wont' visually see it is two different lines.

roflo1

Answers

• Those are wall placing/creating commands.

If you want to edit the width of a wall:

changelw is the command, change line width is what it means.

to make sure I just select the Wall, I go under layers and freeze all with a check on the walls layer.

right click, select Do it.

type in the new width, it will show on the bottom line of the software.

press the Enter key. You now have a new line/wall width.

Michael Roehrl
  • Thanks, Jim, but it's the path of the wall I want to change.

I want to extend my wall. I want to change the path of the existing wall instead of adding another wall because when the new wall joins an existing wall at a corner, the corner gets messed up and I don't know how to fix this.

I could draw a wall fragment around the corner over the messed up corner but it doesn't seem to work well. It's not a big problem for this style since the walls are just a solid colour. But when the walls have a bitmap fill the fill for the "patch" doesn't align with the fill from the underlying wall and it looks ugly. I've also had issues where the width of the patch seems to be off by 1 pixel even though I picked the same width of wall in the wall right-click button.

I have experimented with this more since asking the question and I guess the edit tool is for editing closed polygons, not lines, and that's why it didn't work. But that's OK, I can work with that. I used a closed wall to draw the map and just kept extending at the edges as I move through. This is the closest I've come to getting what I want. But now I have an edge case where the wall polygon overlaps with itself and it goes white at the intersection:

JimP
    Accepted Answer

Everything that overlaps itself in CC3+ causes that effect. It is a result from calculating what is on the outside (not to be filled) and what is on the inside (to be filled) of the shape.

The solution to that problem is always to ensure a line or poly doesn't overlap itself. If you need to have an overlap, then split the line into two separate lines. If split along an edge and not in a corner, you wont' visually see it is two different lines.

roflo1
  • Thank you sir, that was an extremely helpful comment and I managed to get the white square to go away :)

You're welcome. Happy mapping.