Advice on a creating symbol catalog

I have created a few dozen generic marker symbols (PNG) for overland maps. Basically a bunch of circles and squares with some different shapes to distinguish between (e.g.) a village and a city, or a ruin and a castle.

Anyway, I have made several identical sets of markers with different accent colors. I have never made my own symbol catalog before, and I am debating between making a catalog for each color or throwing them all into one catalog. I have looked at some documentation and tutorials about how to make the catalog, but I feel like I don't grasp all the nuance.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

It depends on how you plan to use them, but I would probably have put them all into one symbol catalog, and then used collections to either group them by type (so you have all the castles of different colors in one group) or by color (so you have all the red tinted symbols in one collections).

TheIneffableCheese
  • Anyway, I have made several identical sets of markers with different accent colors.

Have you considered making some of those symbols varicolor?

• I did consider going with varicolor, but I'm not groking how to set that up. I ended up with 6 versions of 40 symbols. Since the overall count is so high, I am actually leaning towards individual color catalogs - I don't think I'll often use more than one color per map. It's more likely I'd be picking an accent color that complements the colors of the map itself. Maybe I'd pull in multiple colors if I had different regions or factions to represent on the map, but that'll be rare.

I did create a proof sheet of the symbols with a gold accent (I've also made grey, blue, red, green, and purple). I'm attaching it if anyone is interested is perusing. I'd also be more than willing to attach the PNGs if anyone would be interested in using them.

roflo1