Help with crash while exporting

I'm having a weird crash when exporting a part of my Myth Drannor map. I'm providing the FCW (it requires SS5):

I added a few pink guides to show the square I want to export at 8800 x 8600 px.

Do know that all "tiles" above the highlighted row worked without any problem.

I don't see any "strange" entities in that vicinity. I don't know what else to check.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited April 2023

What are your export settings?

I'm still waiting for it to finish converting the final image, so it may still crash, but it hasn't yet. One thing I did notice, though, is that I had to reduce my antialiasing right down to 16 to bring the work size down to 10,000 px on the long side. What is yours set at, and what is your work size?

EDIT: Yes, it was successfully exported with these settings:

Notice how the work size is 10,000 px right on the button. It did take a while to convert at the end of the rendering process.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I seem to be able to reliably crash it. Did some testing, and seems to be down to building 20. It is right outside the area, but to avoid weird effect clipping at the edges, the render works with a slightly larger area than you select for the export.

Delete the building, and the export should go through. (You'll probably want to redraw it of course, but it is good just testing export once before that to make sure the problem is gone for you)

JimProflo1
  • I tried deleting building 20 and, indeed, the export no longer crashes.

I'll follow up later today when I get home and see if I can get more information on what caused it.

• edited April 2023

Some progress to report...

I started from the top and checked @Loopysue 's settings and compared it to my own. Turns out I had the "Progressive JPEG" checkbox enabled (which I don't need anyway), so I started by unchecking it. And... now I can export without deleting the building!

And I don't think it has an impact on my problem, but I have antialiasing disabled (so I guess my work size should be exacly my export size, right?).

Out of curiosity @Monsen .. how did you narrow it down to building 20?

EDIT: Apparently I still can't export the 2 tiles that actually include building 20.

EDIT 2: Also, building 78 seems to be troublesome as well.

Disabling antialiasing reduces the overlap CC3 usually uses between passes to make the stitching smoother, so you litterally 'missed' the problem building because it doesn't fall within the rendered area. That's how I was able to render it myself. Setting the AA to 16% must have been just small enough to miss that building. Consequently I wasn't even aware it was a problem until Remy tried it.

roflo1

When I try to work out where the problem lies, I often use a series of elimination step. Start by hiding half the sheets and testing, until I have narrowed down which sheet it is on, then do the same for the layers involved on that sheet. Then I start eliminating the entities on the sheet, half at a time.

Often, you can use quicker export options when you narrow down a problem. For example, exporting to bmp skips most of the final conversion step, and you can usually export at a lower resolution and turn off things like antialiasing, or even export without effects on. Just test with reduced export settings first to see if it still crashes, sometimes the conditions are no longer fulfilled for the crash when you do that, but if it still does, then it is no need spending 10 mins on each elimination step when you can spend 30 secs.

As for turning off progressive jpg, I have no idea whatsoever why that would help with anything. That option is used in the final conversion step, i.e. AFTER CC3+ have rendered everything, and have a complete bitmap to convert to jpg, while for me at least, it crashed during the actual rendering step long before that option can affect anything.

LoopysueJimProflo1
  • Doesn't CC3+ come with 32 bit ImageMagick? That could cause issues with the final conversion of large images, even if the export itself works OK.

It does. It is easy to see where the problem lies though. If it crashes while converting the final file, you'll be left with a fully functional temporary bitmap (the filename.bmp.jpg file) that contains the complete export, and if you looked at the export dialog during export, you'll also see that it is done with all the passes over the sheets.

On the other hand, if it crashes while CC3+ is rendering, the temprary bitmap will be corrupted (probably look like a half-finished export), and you'll also notice that the crash happened at the middle of rendering a sheet if you were looking at the export dialog.

ImageMagick is smart enough to use the disk as a cache if needed though, so even the 32-bit version should normally be able to handle any size output CC3+ is capable of producing.

JimP
  • This is a very weird crash.

It happens before ImageMagick even comes into play. That is, the BMP export doesn't finish (0 bytes file is left).

Which is also why Remy expressed that the progressive checkbox shouldn't have anything to do with it. But, I still can export some tiles just by unchecking that option. Very strange.

• I can't seem to crack this one.. but here's what I did:

1. I created a new SS5 map sized 440 x 430 ft (which is my tile size).
    2. I added a single house with the house tool (house settings: SS5C m Tiled).
    3. I tried exporting at the same resolution as mentioned in my top post.

It still crashes.

I'm including this very simple FCW, in case someone wants to test:

Other stuff I've tried (unsuccessfully) in my big map:

• Try on a different machine.
    • Copy a building (one that does get exported) from elsewhere in the same map.
    • Create a sheet only for the offending building.
    • Export at 70% size and half size.

I don't think my installation got corrupted because I saw the same behaviour in another machine. But perhaps someone with SS5 could be kind enough to send me an FCW with a single house?

I'm running out of ideas.

edited April 2023

I can't even open that one, Roflo. It crashes CC3.

Remy says he had the same problem.

Time to contact Tech Support I think.

roflo1

Me neither.

I think it is time you send in a tech support request so Ralf can look a bit closer at this, seems to be a weird problem here. You can reference to this thread in the request.

roflo1
  • I can't even open that one, Roflo. It crashes CC3.

Oh, wow. Guess we have ourselves a base test? ;)

Anyway, I do have news: after rereading my previous post, I noticed I'm using the metric version of the house settings. So I modified my test case and replaced the house with the one from SS5C Default... and it worked!

So I ended up doing a dozen tests, and while I can't nail the root cause, I ended up recreating a house setting identical to "SS5C m Tiled" (as far as I can tell) and it didn't crash!

I went back to my big map and replaced the offending buildings with ones using my newly-created house setting. And it worked again!

Now I have a way forward. :)

JimP
  • Tech support ticket sent!

Though I do have something else to report. I said in my previous post:

I ended up recreating a house setting identical to "SS5C m Tiled" (as far as I can tell) and it didn't crash!

But I did overlook something. My new setting uses a house style "SS5_Tiles" while the original (crashing) uses "SS5m_Shingles". And while I don't fully understand what the option does, I sure can change it. Sure enough, that managed to reproduce the crash.

I tried opening the fcws for house styles, both opened fine. But I don't know enough about house styles to even tell what should I be looking at.

JimP