fractal lines query

I like to use fractal lines - a lot - but in my current map I've hit the buffers in that I seem to have got to the point where new lines shoot out these odd pointy lines at random. I can't get on with nodes so that option is closed to me. Surely there is another way to smooth out some of the too tight lines that are overly fractalised?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

These lines happens because nodes are placed in such a way that you get very sharp angles on wide lines. There are two main things that can be done:

• Use the SIMPLIFY command. This command removes nodes that are too close together, and might fix the problem. One needs to experiment a bit with the simplification distance to find the best value, as this depends on map size. For larger maps, it may be 1 or more, but for smaller maps, it may just be a small fraction. Save your map before experimenting so you can easily go back to a previous version (Undo also works)
    • Stop using entities with a separate outline entity, and use effects instead. Since this problem is connected to wide lines, it doesn't affect the landmass itself, only the outline that has been applied. For example, on the Mike Schley overland, this outline is on the COASTLINE sheet. Hide this sheet, and apply an outer glow to the land instead.
    Loopysue
  • For a continent, I rarely fractal more than 3 times. A city level map, I do it 4 or 5 times. Windows doesn't like extensive fractalizing