Expansion to Ellis Prybylski Watercolor Style

Hello! I'm E. I did the watercolor style released as the April, 2023 annual. I have been approached to expand it and would love to know what folks are interested in for expansion. I saw there was some interest in elven, dwarven, halfling and ruins! I can definitely do that. I may also add an orcish settlement flavor.

Are there other things folks would like to see? I can't guarantee I'll be able to accomplish all of them, but I would love to know what pieces others would like to see available.

JimPMonsenLoopysueScottAWyvernRicko HascheLizzy_Maracuja

Comments

• Yes. I know too generic. But yes. Can we have some more symbols ?

MonsenScottAthegreysentinel
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited April 2023

That's great! :D

Do you do sea monsters?

Or how about a ship?

thegreysentinel
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

A good style can never have too many symbols.

• Symbol varity is always good. Just variants of some of the same symbols would be great, like variant bridges and castles and towers and more
    • Different races and cultures, as you mention elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, but also culture-inspired like middle-eastern, far eastern, jungle tribes, aztec/maya inspired, bad/evil lands
    • How about a mountain symbol with a dragon on top of it, and a volcano and a mountain with a mysterious cave
    • Ships and sea monsters
    • Windmills
    • fruit trees
    • a black cat pushing things off the edge of the map
    • icebergs
    • all kinds of ruins, cities, castles, towers, etc
    • a snow and ice fill.
    ScottAJimPWyvernthegreysentinelEukalyptusNow
  • Definitely elf and orc houses. I've been using the older versions in my city state on these forums. They look at bit out of place.

thegreysentinel
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    • a black cat pushing things off the edge of the map

That's awesome! Would love that, actually...

JimPthegreysentinel
  • Yes please to the Elf, Dwarf, Halfling and Orc structures, plus ruins, ships, icy elements, a volcano-mountain, variant settlement features (including for different cultures)! And after those, also perhaps:

• Magical site markers
    • Battlefield marker, and a more general flag-style marker, to highlight important sites that don't fit to specific structure types.
    • Oasis symbols for the deserts.
    • Two more bridges at different angles to the current one - one running straight down the page, the other angled down from top left to lower right.
    • I really like the Henge and Tomb hill markers, as they look good on any terrain. Another such marker with a cave mouth would be very useful.
    • Some Mountain Peak symbols without the snowy tops (so grey mountains, just no white caps).
    • Seeing the animal and creature comments, just the actual creature without any associated terrain would be better, as usable anywhere. Snag is, going down this route is liable to lead to requests for a lot more "resources" style markers - domesticated creatures and crops, minerals, etc.
    • Some jungle-style trees, perhaps including mangroves, as well as the fruit trees Monsen mentioned.

I'll probably think of others later, but these are what're coming to mind right away. It's a wonderful style, and it would be excellent to see it expanded as far as possible in future, I think.

And thank you very much for creating it!

JimPthegreysentinelEukalyptusNow
  • edited April 2023

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am taking notes and will add what I feel is within my capabilities to add. I won't probably get to everything, but I will do my best to create some fantasy race structures you can use around the map. I appreciate your requests and will do what I can!

Also, thank you very much for the kind words you have for me. They are very much appreciated. :) I look forward to expanding the style!

Right now my plan looks like:

• Elven Civilization
    • Dwarven Civilization
    • Orcish Civilization
    • Halfling Civilization
    • Fruit trees
    • Snowless mountain variants
    • Volcano
    • Cave markers
    • A cat pushing things off the map (I'm actually going to try this one; we'll see!)
    • A sea serpant
    • A peak with a dragon on it
    • Magical site markers
    • Battle site markers
    • Bridges at different angles
    • More tree types

I have other things on my list, but we will see what I am able to accomplish reasonably.

LoopysueJimProflo1WyvernJulianDracosRicko Hasche
  • I spent too much time thinking but most of what I was thinking seems to be on the list. The only other things I can think of are:

Farm building(s)

Cow, Dragon, Mouse, Horse, Unicorn, Pegasus, and Shark symbols.

I would like some non west European options, e.g. domed buildings or East Asian cities.

Ricko HascheJimP