borders and rivers

I cannot draw lines that function as rivers or as a crucial border splitting the island (550 x 665 at the widest) in half. Even drawing the lines at .99 I can't see them without using a very heavy Outer Glow.

I feel as though I'm cheating. Am I?

Comments

• Why aren't you using the river tool? My guess is that the lines are not thick enough and you probably need to change the line to a water fill.

With that said, sheet effects are there to make things look better and people use different tools to make maps. As long as things look like you want, I don't see any problems.

• I've opted not to use the River tool because I can't rely on my fingers @JulianDracos . If I did I'd be constantly typing DRAWTOOLSP in the command line cause that's easier.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Helen :)

Please can you post either or both a screen shot and the FCW so we can see what you mean a little easier?

Using sheet effects isn't cheating. If it was then every map I've ever made was done by cheating ;)

JimP
  • here's the ftw

and here's the jpg image

JimP
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2023

For that map, line widths less than 1 seem to be a bit to small to be visible, especially when zoomed all the way out. Using effects like that is a fine way to make lines more visible, or you could bump the line size a bit. I am guessing that doubling the size of the rivers should be fine.

Loopysue
  • wouldn't doubling the line width prior to drawing result in a hollow middle? I did experiment with that and the line looked to be hollow.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Not for lines. Polygons gets a hollow middle whenever the line width is greater than 0, but lines will be solid all the way, unless you use the "hollow" fill style (You're not, since your rivers are using a bitmap fill) OR you have an Edge, fade inner effect on the rivers, where the inner opacity is set to be lower than the outer one.

Looking at your drawing, you do have an edge fade inner which is way wider than your rivers which is also the partial cause of your rivers being very difficult to see. I didn't notice that immediately when I looked at the map earlier because I worked with effects off to see it without the glow. You can try changing the width of this effect to something like 0.2 and see if that works for you.

LoopysueJimP