school of Magic

So I'm fairly new to CC3+ and wondering how some you will attack the challenge of making a Hogwart like school of Magic.

do I need the Castle! expansion or I can do it with only City ?

Tagged:

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

It depends what you are going for. To create a top-down overview, any city style should suffice, you'll probably be mostly using the house tool to create your own shapes rather than using finished building symbols.

If you're looking to map the interior, dungeon styles will allow you to do that. I think you're probably be best off with a regular dungeon style, the Castles add-on will probably not give you too much for a magic scool, other than perhaps some castle drawing techniques, but in general, you'll probably enjoy a modern bitmap based artwork dungeon style more.

If you are after the perspective views, then Castles may help you a bit, but it is probably better to start out with Perspectives 3 instead. But a perspective view of such a building is going to be a complex task, so not a good starting point for an inexperienced user.

Loopysuefil
  • Another good source of advice would be Cartographer’s Annual #46 "Castle Walls". It describes how to use the tools provided in DD3 below the snaps icons. If you want your school in a castle, design the castle first then put the school inside it. Another alternative is to put the school in an old monastery which might actually work better functionally.
    fil
  • Do you have - or exist - Oficial Hogwart Castle map?