World Map or Regional Map

I have been working on some map Ideas for a few months now and I am finally ready to try and put them out there. But the issue I am having is deciding would it be better and easier to just stick to a regional map and then expand to a world map for my players?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you will only be playing in that region for a while I'd do a regional map and be working on a separate world map in the background while they're busy fighting for their lives in the first region.

Then when they get to the edge of that first region I would do a third map of the region they are moving into, based on the layout of the world map.

Jason Cantu
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

It depends on how you wish to do the planning. If you have an idea of how you want your world to look, I would start there. But if you don't, it is better ti start with a regional map, and then gather some ideas as you play.

The advantage of having a world map is that it is easier to be consistent with the information you feed your players, but it can also restrict things a bit as well.

Jason Cantu