Help with installing

edited March 2023 in Product Questions

From the latest Humble Bundle I got the CC3+ and add-ons.

Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus

Cartographer's Collection 1

Cartographer's Collection 2

Cosmographer 3

Fractal Terrains 3

Source Maps: Cities!

Symbol Set 4 - Dungeons of Schley

Symbol Set 5 - Cities of Schley

World Builder's Compendium

I'm trying to find out which links I need to click for the corresponding downloads as well as where things should be installed.

On most of the download's files I've clicked the first option, did I do right by this?

For CC3+ I also downloaded MontlyContent2023 and ran it, did I do right by this too?

For Cosmo and Source Maps it seems it installed things in the ProgramData folder. But it seemed for others like SS4 it wanted to (and did) install some other stuff in Documents, why doesn't it do it in the ProgramData folder? I'd like those installs centralised, in one location. I've hit remove again for now. (How) is it possible to get all add-ons centralized?

I've been looking various places already but in my 2 hour struggling search I couldn't find a good and straightforward to my questions. My hope is on getting some help here.

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

Yea, I think the first option for each product should have gotten you the right installers, but generally, what you should be looking for is if there are separate download links for the CC3 and the CC3+ version, in which case it is important you get the CC3+ one, the installers for CC3 will not install properly into CC3+.

And yea, getting the monthly content installer is good, it contains extra free stuff.

Now, make sure to install the base product, CC3+ first, all the others (except FT3) requires it.

Now, as for products installing things other than in program data, this is optional. Many of these add-ons allow people NOT owning CC3+ to install them just for the artwork, and in that case, it will install that artwork into documents. There should be a checkbox to just turn off installing that extra copy altogether during the installation. Just turn it off, and it will just install the standard copy for use with CC3+ in the ProgramData folder.

LoopysueJimP
    Accepted Answer

It's not supposed to do that, at least not in my experience, and I have run it quite a lot of times, so check that the actual install went through. CC3+ doesn't care about the documents directory, so you can delete things there, but the fact that it put it there in the first place may because the installer didn't find CC3+.

If it appears to be installed in ProgramData just fine, then you can probably just delete the folder in documents and forget about it, but if not, double check that you have the right installer. It should be named "SS4SetupForCC3Plus.exe", if not, maybe you accidentally downloaded the CC3 one instead.

Answers

Accepted Answer

Yea, I think the first option for each product should have gotten you the right installers, but generally, what you should be looking for is if there are separate download links for the CC3 and the CC3+ version, in which case it is important you get the CC3+ one, the installers for CC3 will not install properly into CC3+.

And yea, getting the monthly content installer is good, it contains extra free stuff.

Now, make sure to install the base product, CC3+ first, all the others (except FT3) requires it.

Now, as for products installing things other than in program data, this is optional. Many of these add-ons allow people NOT owning CC3+ to install them just for the artwork, and in that case, it will install that artwork into documents. There should be a checkbox to just turn off installing that extra copy altogether during the installation. Just turn it off, and it will just install the standard copy for use with CC3+ in the ProgramData folder.

LoopysueJimP
  • For SS4 it still installed in the Documents folder (even with checkbox unchecked). Is it save to delete the Folder after installation?

Thanks for the quick response and clear answer!

Accepted Answer

It's not supposed to do that, at least not in my experience, and I have run it quite a lot of times, so check that the actual install went through. CC3+ doesn't care about the documents directory, so you can delete things there, but the fact that it put it there in the first place may because the installer didn't find CC3+.

If it appears to be installed in ProgramData just fine, then you can probably just delete the folder in documents and forget about it, but if not, double check that you have the right installer. It should be named "SS4SetupForCC3Plus.exe", if not, maybe you accidentally downloaded the CC3 one instead.

• I do have the right installer, the add-on seems to work fine in the program. I guess I'll delete the folder. Thanks for your help!