Memory setting

Is there a way to set how much memory the program can use? I have a 12 core/ 24 thread processor and 64GB of RAM. The program seems sluggish trying to scroll or zoom on the included maps. So I am curious if there is anything I need to change in the setting somewhere to fix this issue.

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

The software is 32-bit, so it can't address more than 4GB of memory, which it should do by default.

That said, the rendering is CPU-bound, so unless you are manually forcing it to always use very high quality textures in the display speed dialog (a rather bad idea btw, since it won't affect visual quality, CC3+ automatically uses the right textures based on the current zoom level, manually overriding it just eats performance with no benefit) so the rendering speed is mainly limited by CPU-speed (Actual clock speed is the most important here, not the number of cores) .

Note that since CC3+ is a vector-based program, it will need to re-render your display every time you change view, it is not a finished bitmap just laying ready in memory as with regular image editors. The amount of work needed here depends a lot on your display size, for example a 4K display is 4 times as many pixels as as 1080p one, so it will also be 4 times as slow in that case.

LoopysueGlitchJimP
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

Having sheet effects on also tends to make things slower.

JimP

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

The software is 32-bit, so it can't address more than 4GB of memory, which it should do by default.

That said, the rendering is CPU-bound, so unless you are manually forcing it to always use very high quality textures in the display speed dialog (a rather bad idea btw, since it won't affect visual quality, CC3+ automatically uses the right textures based on the current zoom level, manually overriding it just eats performance with no benefit) so the rendering speed is mainly limited by CPU-speed (Actual clock speed is the most important here, not the number of cores) .

Note that since CC3+ is a vector-based program, it will need to re-render your display every time you change view, it is not a finished bitmap just laying ready in memory as with regular image editors. The amount of work needed here depends a lot on your display size, for example a 4K display is 4 times as many pixels as as 1080p one, so it will also be 4 times as slow in that case.

LoopysueGlitchJimP
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

Having sheet effects on also tends to make things slower.

JimP
  • Okay, Thank you. The CPU is liquid cooled and usually runs about 4.2GHz. However I do use a 4K monitor so that probably has a large effect.