Concept World Map (mmorpg)

FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
edited February 2023 in Show and Tell
I feel like I go through 1-3 iterations a year on this map lol. I have always wanted to re-design my world map to make it have a more natural flow without it looking "patchy" or things that just don't belong. At the same time, I have to adhere to zone design for development purposes. It makes things tricky.

I decided to that this portion of the classic world is going to be dwelling in a transitional biome of taiga and temperate.

I was inspired to make the mountains ranges better. With much inspiration from a FB poster's Spectrum maps, on how he complimented the hills under the mountains, making them foothills. It was a brilliant move and makes the mountains come more alive.

I hope this looks better than my previous versions of the map.

Click to view High Res Version

LoopysueJimPhsv216roflo1WeathermanSweden

Comments

• Does anyone have any feedback?
  • On my cell, can only load the small one above. Looks good.

FarsightX3
  • Thank you Jim! Appreciate you!
  • The only think I do not like is the size of the mountains. They are way too big compared to the other symbols. Other than that, it all seems fine to me.

FarsightX3
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

It looks like a good composition. However, my (admittedly old and not well maintained) eyes have problems tracking on the map. The big mountains are a good pull, but everything else on the map reads as a sea of noise to me. I suspect that it's mostly because of the low-contrast darkish blue-green textures combined with tiny dark trees and small details that don't pull my eye around the composition. Note that those comments are for the size-reduced thumbnail and also for a somewhat larger full-screen preview. Looked at up close, things look reasonable, but that huge amount of detail just fades out when the whole thing is viewed at once.

Cartography (art in general, but cartography specifically) is about abstraction: reducing the thing to an essence of the original that meets your goals. It's why artworks aren't photographs: art has the important things highlighted and the unimportant things reduced; a photograph just keeps everything. Too much detail just becomes clutter after a bit.

A common problem that folks tend to have is putting too much on a single map because it can be difficult to have multiple maps. Folks have gotten really used to things like the various map applications that seem to offer infinite detail and they want to put all of that on a single map. That doesn't really work, though, because a critical part of map applications is automated abstraction. Someone tagged various features for importance and the application only shows those features that are appropriate for the zoom. You don't see alleyways marked on a map of the world because humans can't process that level of detail all at once.

One thing that you might try is to reduce the contrast on the base terrain textures even further because that will reduce one major source of detail when viewed from a distance. The way that CC3 does bitmap fills is by repeating the textures, which results in obvious patterning when zoomed out. Reducing the use of a single texture can also help, but I think that contrast reduction is your best bet for a first step.

Again, the comments above apply to my general review of the map and may not have any bearing on your intended use of the map.

FarsightX3WeathermanSwedenJimPLoopysue
  • The only think I do not like is the size of the mountains. They are way too big compared to the other symbols. Other than that, it all seems fine to me.

Hi. Thank you for the response. The intention for the mountains to be large is for scale. I wanted to represent a "realistic" scale to the best I could. I can see why that may seem off. I though about that too. I didn't want to lower the vegetation scale lower because I wanted to keep those symbols as hi-res as I could. I tried to scale them down by 20% but it just didn't scale right in my eyes compared to how trees are scaled against mountains in real life. What would be your proposed solution? Do you think that because of the nature and shape of the mountain symbols in the Spectrum Catalog, it doesn't flow as well when the scale range is too large like it is my map? One symbol mountain range set that I think works better is the Jonathan Roberts mountains. However, their texture doesn't fit.
    JimP
  • jslayton said:

It looks like a good composition. However, my (admittedly old and not well maintained) eyes have problems tracking on the map. The big mountains are a good pull, but everything else on the map reads as a sea of noise to me. I suspect that it's mostly because of the low-contrast darkish blue-green textures combined with tiny dark trees and small details that don't pull my eye around the composition. Note that those comments are for the size-reduced thumbnail and also for a somewhat larger full-screen preview. Looked at up close, things look reasonable, but that huge amount of detail just fades out when the whole thing is viewed at once.

Cartography (art in general, but cartography specifically) is about abstraction: reducing the thing to an essence of the original that meets your goals. It's why artworks aren't photographs: art has the important things highlighted and the unimportant things reduced; a photograph just keeps everything. Too much detail just becomes clutter after a bit.

A common problem that folks tend to have is putting too much on a single map because it can be difficult to have multiple maps. Folks have gotten really used to things like the various map applications that seem to offer infinite detail and they want to put all of that on a single map. That doesn't really work, though, because a critical part of map applications is automated abstraction. Someone tagged various features for importance and the application only shows those features that are appropriate for the zoom. You don't see alleyways marked on a map of the world because humans can't process that level of detail all at once.

One thing that you might try is to reduce the contrast on the base terrain textures even further because that will reduce one major source of detail when viewed from a distance. The way that CC3 does bitmap fills is by repeating the textures, which results in obvious patterning when zoomed out. Reducing the use of a single texture can also help, but I think that contrast reduction is your best bet for a first step.

Again, the comments above apply to my general review of the map and may not have any bearing on your intended use of the map.

Hi. Thank you for your response. Good information here. I think I am probably the only one on the forum who has a different intention for my map usage here so it may seem out of the ordinary. This is meant for an mmorpg world map. It's suppose to showcase gameplay elements and distinguish different places as "zones". There is supposed to be a lot of information on the map for the player. That's why it may seem cluttered. Ever since I started here back in 2008? My maps have always been super patchy. I wanted to attempt to break that mold the best I could with a more realistic flow and design for the world. I was so concerned about the individual zone looking distinct rather than how does it fit in naturally with the world that makes sense. I do think the map looks better zoomed in rather than zoomed out.
    JimP
  • I am thinking that the issue with the scale of the mountains has more to do with the scale of the map. When I go to your larger image and zoom in, everything seems proportional. But, when you deal with the large zoomed out map, then you have these tiny symbols you can't see and these giant mountains that dominate the image. So, it is less than the mountains look too big, but rather looking at the image from a "distance" makes everything else look too small.

If that is the cause, then it really depends on how this map will be viewable as to how it will look. Zoomed out image that only takes up a small amount of screen space doesn't look that good. The larger image that fills up most of my screen, looks a lot better. Zoomed in looks great. Some styles just don't work great for larger maps because you lose the details. When deal with larger maps with detailed styles, I will sometimes increase the size of the smaller objects. But its probably not worth it for you. Just make sure that any collectors map is printed big.

FarsightX3