Can't figure out the best approach for this style of map

2»

Comments

• Here's the next map - just to the east. Now that I have a pattern, this should be pretty quick!
  • edited December 2009
    Still very pretty... getting better even. Glad you decided to change the farmland, this texture is far superior in my opinion. Nice maps as well. Lots of adventure to be had!
    What are the big white trees supposed to represent?

Edit: looking at the first map, those are Sylvan trees I guess.
  • Really like this style.
    Maps not too crowded. Like Gandwarf said, great opportunities for adventures.

Curious what the white area in the 2nd map is.
  • edited December 2009
    Here's the latest version of C5. The white area used to be completely forested but has been mowed down by countless battles. The white trees are GIANT trees. The Great Sylvan Tree on C4 is essentially an elven city within a great tree (in fact, not too different than the big "home tree" in the new Avatar movie).

This is an area of the world that has literally been played for about 30 years by a core group of about 6 of us and around 20 other players over the years. Lots of wars and changes of regional powers. I dropped out for many years, so I'm learning the middle and latter history of the campaign world myself. There are boxes and boxes of maps, documents, pcs, npcs, historical writings, unique/intelligent magic items, regional economic laws, etc., etc. It's amazing how much work has gone into things.

Since D&D 4E came out, I started running a small campaign of my own, and the Tim behind "Timnath" asked me if I'd be willing to convert this treasure trove to digital media so it will last (the paper content is aging rapidly). In addition he suggested that I take the game master duties for a while and infuse some new energy and ideas into the world. Cool honor to put my fingerprints on things.

Here's the final versions of C4 and C5 (unless they tweak something else!!).

Again - thanks for the help.
  • Sounds like you need a web site to track all of that !
  • Oh yeah. We have a forum where we're going through the map iterations as well as the digital conversion of all the other stuff (albeit very slowly).

Another friend (also a programmer/developer like myself) is going to stitch everything together as I get it built so it's fully navigable. Probably through imagemaps or similar linking system.

I was pondering how useful it would be to gamers if we built a "world builder" sort of site where you could manage all of the content for RPG pencil/paper gaming... maps, npcs, pcs, notes, dungeons, etc. etc.

Would there really be a niche need for such a place? Hmmm.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    mine is one sort... Working on it slowly as I am the only one who knows where everything goes. Over 1,600 maps, several adventures, house rules, NPCs, cities, towns, lots of other stuff. Crestar link updated Nov 6, 2016.

If you ned lots of room, and it sounds like you do, I suggest (cwahi no longer exists so deleting link) No domains yet, but they do have unlimited bandwidth and unlimited site sizes. yes, truly unlimited. I have a number of sites there. They do have a 21 pixel text banner at the top. Server served when the page is looked at, nothing in your code. I am there as a volunteer. Free to sign up, free to use. I am one of the Beta testers.

edit: I love using a blog, as it lets me tie nations and cities together, along with adventures within that nation. Certainly easier than thousands of html pages, which is why I am moving Crestar from html to a blog.
  • 1 year later
  • I am finally coming back around to this after a LONG hiatus. I tried working with CC3 to establish a map that the campaign progenitors really liked. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get CC3 to get there. CC3/DD3 still crash way too often so I lose work even though I accept the auto save when it pops up (and I save manually quite often).

So... I've been an avid Photoshop user since '95. I figured I would fall back on what I knew best, and went for a low earth orbit satellite style. I drew them by hand with my Wacom tablet and layered in textures for mountains and such. Here are a couple of the final maps. I still have about 67 to draw. They take about five to six hours to pound out, which isn't too bad.

Also, I've been dabbling in the DD3 and tried using it as a base for some dungeon mapping, but again, found myself leveraging the symbol art and textures (including SMAC's stuff) and just building the thing in layers in Photoshop... It's just so much faster for me, and the results are great (IMHO).

Anyway - a few maps for ya (all Photoshop using CC3/DD3/SMAC where I could).
    KP
    C5.jpg 505.8K
  • Oh yeah... I'll be using the various Keeps and Castles on the overland maps to more accurately represent the locales and points of interest. Forgot to go back in and do that!
  • I like your non-photoshop overland maps better. Just my opinion, of course. The dungeon maps are way kewl, kewlpack.
  • edited January 2011
    I liked them too, but the "founders" of the campaign didn't. They needed more specific information than I could provide in the CC3 maps. Primarily around ridgelines that denoted impasses. It has to do with war-level strategy.