Disappearing Symbols

Has anyone else had a problem with certain symbols mysteriously disappearing between one viewing of a map and the next? Not just the references but the entries on the map's symbol catalog? It doesn't seem to happen in one session but when I save and leave the map then go back to it.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've had them on the wrong sheet type disappearing, but never had them disappear from the list of symbols in the map.

Do you save as multiple file names and accidentally loaded an earlier one ? I did that just today.

• They are different levels of a multi-level floorplan. I frequently shift  between levels, saving before I continue, and sometimes the symbols are just missing. This time I lost stairs, doors, desks, sinks and toilets.
  • I've never had them disappear from the in map list.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you are mixing styles and the symbols from a newly introduced style have the same name as those in the original or earlier style the FCW holds onto the first definition. It's hard to say what's going on, though. Maybe upload the FCW and list the missing symbols - see if we can add them and make them stay?

If you are hiding layers that might account for it, or even just the sheets. If you hide a sheet that might be the sheet those missing parts ended up on without you being aware they were there.

It's quite difficult to say what's happening without the FCW.

JimP
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited February 2023
    Well the last time I checked nothing had disappeared although I had to use a different desk in the ticket booths. (I couldn't find the old one that only had an adding machine.) As you can see I use a lot of symbols in my subway station so I don't like losing any.

FWIW, the mezzanine is half a level below the street-stairs' landings and the basement level of connecting buildings. (And darn, I just noticed the door to the north ticket booth is missing! :( )
    JimPLoopysue

It sounds pretty complicated with all these different levels in one map. Could it be something to do with the sheet ordering and things not being on the sheet you think they are on?

JimP
  • The actual symbol entries in the local symbol catalog disappeared which isn't an issue of either sheets or layers. There are only three levels to my map: "Floor 1" (which has subway street entrances), "Basement 1" (which has the station level shown above) and "Basement 2" (which has the subway platform and tracks). The station was only supposed to be a small part of the map but I've ended up spending most of my time on it.
    JimP

Without the FCW it's quite difficult to make a good suggestion. If this is a private commission of some kind and the FCW can't be uploaded here, maybe contact Tech Support for help?

JimP