Doors going on Symbol Definition Layer

My doors are going on the Symbol definition layer.

If I click change properties, it shows they are on the door layer. If I click on the layer check box, and make sure it says door, it makes no difference. When the Symbol definition layer is hidden, I can't see the doors.

It only seems to happen to the doors. I had 1 wall section show up in other than the wall layer (why does that happen?), when I changed its properties, it moved to the wall layer.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited February 2023

Hello Thiles :)

The SYMBOL DEFINITION layer is the one that holds all the information for all the symbols. If you hide it all the symbols will disappear, so it is best just to leave it well alone.

Use List in the Info menu and you will see that the door is listed in the blue box that appears as being on the layer you have specified.

Incidentally, while we are discussing layers, it doesn't really make much difference what layer a symbol is on for most of the time. It is the sheets that affect the order in which things are drawn, and the sheets that hold the effects that are applied to them like shadows and glows. Layers are more a kind of grouping system.

Most entities, whether symbol, wall or fill, will go to the correct sheet and layer on placement. The important ones if you are drawing a dungeon map is to leave the walls on the WALLS layer and the floors on the FLOORS layer, or the door and window cutting symbols won't work properly.

Thiles Targon
  • It's also worth noting that Layers are important if you want to show or hide certain features, or select particular map features together, so you can, for example, have different versions of the same map easily available to view or print.

It's useful to try to keep everything correctly placed on both the Sheets and Layers you want to use, since you can guarantee the one time this is really important, you'll likely forget and have a lot of extra work to correct things (well, you will if you're anything like me!).