WIP a fantasy game map based on the British Isles

I am trying to make a map for a fantasy setting based on the general shape of the British Isles. It has taken a while but I have outlines for the two major land masses and several small islands. As I said it is based on the British Isles so I traced an outline map I found on line.

I don't really have any questions at this time but any feedback positive or otherwise would be welcome.

Thanks

Bruce

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Bruce :)

It all looks good, though I recommend reducing the node count a bit by using the keyboard command SIMPLIFY with a setting of 0.5.

You currently have 5228 nodes in the mainland object. While this isn't too many once you have traced a few terrain fills around the edge of it, or added a coastline (bascially a duplicate of the land but on the COASTLINE sheet), you might start to notice a bit of lag going on when you zoom or pan.

That one action reduced the number of nodes from 5228 to 1493, which would give you a lot more wiggle room if you intend to be quite lavish with the terrain tools.

GlitchBruce Pilcher
  • Thanks @Loopysue :

I will give that a try. As you may have gathered from the file name ending in V05, I am keeping multiple versions of the file. I will Make V06 the one with fewer nodes. Now all I have to do is learn how to use Simplify.

Bruce

You're Welcome Bruce.

To use SIMPLIFY just type the word on your keyboard. It will appear in the command line at the bottom of the window. Then press enter and it will prompt you for a distance. That is where I put 0.5. Then hit enter again and pick the land shapes to simplify them.

You can simplify several entites by clicking them one at a time.

If you feel you have used the wrong distance setting you can undo the usual way - CTRL+Z.

• I do that to. Basically map01_0001, make changes, save as map01_0002, etc. until done.

• Hi @Loopysue :

Is there a way to easily count all the nodes in my map. The only way I know is to use the list command, select all objects, and then go through the list and add up the number of nodes in each object.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Bruce

edited December 2022

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do that, but you don't really need to worry about the total nodes in the map as much as you do about the number of nodes in a single entitiy.

It is the complexity of the entity that causes more problems than anything else.

JimP