Would like advice on a new computer to optimize running CC3+

My computer is about 6 years old (Dell XPS 8900) and I'm going to be shopping for a new system soon. My budget is in the $1500 range.

What specs would you recommend in that price range to give the best performance?

Thanks,

Steven

Comments

• CC3+ is 32-bit. So a graphics card may have minimal effect.

However, I currently have a 3.6GHz CPU, 8 gigs of ram, and a 1 gig video card computer. Works fine. Annual example maps load fine.

Previously I had a 1.6GHz CPU computer with 8 gigs of ram, and no video card. Refresh times were terrible, and some Annual example maps wouldn't load.

Both use Windows 10.

The newer computer has a nice power supply, the previous one was essentially a laptop motherboard in a small form factor case. And used a 90 watt laptop adapter. Couldn't be upgraded to an internal power supply.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Unless you need to spend a lot of that on a graphics card (which won't do anything for CC3+, but if you plan to use the computer for gaming, you may want one), the 13th generation Intel i5's are pretty good, both in actual performance, and value for money. If you can get an i5-13600K, I would go for it.

Recommend getting 16GB of RAM. CC3+ itself can't use more than 4, but your OS and other programs want their chunk of it, so 16 allows CC3+ to get it's fill. Probably best to go with DDR5 these days for the future, but if the budget constrains you, you are better off going for DDR4 ram instead of scaling back the CPU.

I also recommend having a NVMe system drive, and make sure it is big enough to install CC3+ on it. Personally, I recommend 512GB+. CC3+ do use RAM caching, so it won't be terrible on a slower drive, but getting the extra speed is good.

For the rest of the components, get what you can. You don't need a huge PSU (unless you are also getting a powerful graphics card)

Extra storage, more ram is always good.

Loopysueroflo1[Deleted User]
  • Thanks for the tip on the GPU. I don't do gaming - mostly editing, coding, and graphics work with Photoshop.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

In that case, you can probably just use the graphics capabilities that's already on that intel chip without investing in a graphics card at all. But you should check if the other programs you use have any need for a GPU at all. Some features of PS can do their calculation on the GPU, but don't get a GPU just because of that unless you know they're features you use a lot. If you can skip getting a GPU it's that much more money for the rest of the system.

• Other graphics programs do use GPU. You may not need the top of the line, buy you should not skimp. Photoshop recommends 4GB if you are going for 4k display, but 1.5 without.

I am going on the assumption you are going to keep the computer for years. That you will continue with Photoshop, run multiple programs at the same time, and that CC4 will eventually come out and will be 64-bit

Clock speed on the single core will be the biggest thing to improve CC3+ performance.

CPU: Minimum 4 core, preferable 6-8. Clock speed min 3.2GHZ

Ram: Minimum 8, should try to get at least 16GB

GPU: 2GB RAM, prefer 4GB

HD: Minimum 1TB but your boot drive at least needs to be a SSD. Nearly instant boot.

Right now, PCs are having huge sales due to the economy. If you want an all in one PC, then you can pick this up for $900:

If you are just going to replace the tower, there are some cheap entries. This is $550:

If you want to make sure you have a great graphics card, that will mean a gaming PC. This runs a bit over $900

roflo1[Deleted User]schabotte