New Map Wizard not populating

edited November 2022 in Community Support

I've had Campaign cartographer for a while, and have installed it on many computers. However, my latest attempt at reinstalling is getting frustrating.

The program is still usable, but the New Map Wizard won't populate. When I go for a pre-defined style, it's looking for a folder that doesn't exist. When I go for designing my own, the wizard is empty of options and I can't progress.

I'd include screenshots, but for some reason that isn't working either when the relevant windows are open.

I realize this may be more technical than this board normally handles, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something really obvious that I forgot about or something. I'm on a Windows 10 machine, and I've tried uninstalling and re-installing several times.

Edit: Okay, it appears to be a glitch/bug. Because if I choose the new drawing and try to go directly to the next step, I get the error mentioned above. If I switch my selection at all (to floorplan, dungeon, or what have you) and then back to cities, it works fine.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2022

It is quite difficult to look at the problem without any screen shots so I will start with the broader span of questions first. I have recently reinstalled Win 10 on my PC and then taken the opportunity to do a completely new install of all my Profantasy software, but I am not having any of these problems. Maybe we should compare notes?

The process I followed was this:

• Redownload all the installers fresh, making sure that they are all CC3+ installers (there are still a few in my list that date back to CC3)
    • Ensure CC3+ is shut down (if you have already installed it and are part way through the process), then right click the installer and pick Run as administrator and allow the installer to open whatever it wants to open when it is done - even if whatever it opens is then manually shut down a few seconds later. That final opening is sometimes thought to be irrelevant and unchecked as an option by some users, but it can cause a lot of problems if you try to cut corners that way.

When installing it is necessary to remain online, as some of the software will check back with the server to confirm the licence.

Install order:

• CC3+,
    • latest update,
    • any add-ons and annuals,
    • latest update again a second time.

If your technique didn't match that plan at some point, then it may be just a small oversight somewhere in the process we can put right.

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
    edited November 2022

I’ll add to Sue’s comments I have found that you have less issues if you uninstall CC3+ and all the add on prior to doing the reinstall. I have had less issues doing it that way instead of installing over the top of what you already have installed.

One other thing make sure you data directory is not inside the CC3+ program directory like previous versions of the program did that will also cause you issues if your using windows 10 or higher.

Loopysue
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2022

Yes, Jeff is right. I was assuming that you had already uninstalled everything first.

In my case I didn't have to do that because reinstalling Win 10 wipes everything completely clean.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Did everything start working normally after you changed the map type and created a new map? That is, you don't have to do that every time you want to create a new map after the first success, right?

I suspect the information holding your previous map type was somehow corrupted, and the dialog simply showing the top value selected as a default. Clicking back and forth, and then create a new map should probably reset that.

But if it happens on every new map going forward, there may be something weird going on.

Loopysue
  • I had the case, that after a fresh install the wizard for "decide settings myself" was empty. I created and saved a map and after that it was OK.

Thanks for the tip!