How do you attach a master symbol filter file to a map

So I have messed up my map somehow and it now does not load the correct set of symbols when it is opened. Instead of loading the Spectrum Overland symbol sets it load the CC3 symbols sets. How do I correct this issue?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Have you tried reopening the map?

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor

Yes that is the problem every time I open the its back to CC3 fills and not the CA163 fills

• This happens to me frequently. There are two ways to fix it, but at the moment I only remember one. The one I recall is to create a new map in spectrum. You don't actually need to do anything. This just loads the symbols. Save the file. Then, go back and reopen your saved file that was messed up. It usually corrects the master symbol.

roflo1
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Symbol filters are loaded in the OnOpenMacro map note. Should be a line saying SYMICONFLOAD CA163 in there.

You can also manually load them by right clicking Symbol Style Toggle and picking Master Filter Settings, hit Load in the dialog and load the CA163 setting. (While in the dialog, you can then also check that the CA163 is in the Filter 1 position after loading, and that it is the selected filter)

LoopysueJeff Broflo1
  • My Symbol Style Toggle doesn't work very well anymore. I keep losing the default style there and when I go to load the original back, it seldom works for some reason

There shouldn't be a problem with Symbol Style Toggle, but beware of the right click menu on the button. The styles there are a static list (only dependant on map type, not the current style), so it has become less and less useful as more styles have been added to CC3+. The way to use it is either just click the button (That will go to the next style in the master filter loaded, which may contain up to 20 items, so it may be multiple clicks to get back to the original style), or right click and pick Master Filter, and just pick the correct filter directly (For almost every style, the loaded filter should have Filter 1 set up as the "native" one for the current map). And if somehow a different master filter has been loaded (can happen if you use the add-on buttons to switch menus), use the load button in the dialog to load back the correct one

Yes that is what seem to happen all the time. I save the map open or start another map and the symbols are all set to the last map I had up and I have to manually go and load the CA163 master filter to get my correct symbols back.

edited October 2022

How do I find the OnOpenMacro map note? Could not find it because it wasn't there in the map notes. I looked at one of the Spectrum Overland sample (Crestovia) and there is none in that map either so I opened the ( Savage Coast) sample and it had it so I copied it over to my map.

Thank You

The map notes should be part of the map when you start it. If your map doesn't have the map note it does explain the behavior, as this contains all the commands that configures CC3+ for the style of the map, without it, it won't load the correct style configuration. (And if a new config isn't loaded, it will just keep using whatever is currently set)

I have never experienced map notes disappearing except by manual deletion myself, but if it has disappeared and you are 100% certain you didn't delete it yourself, you may have encountered a bug I am not aware of yet.

Regarding the example maps, they often don't have these notes because they are often made while setting up the style, so they aren't made from the final template, and thus didn't get those elements either. The best way to find an accurate copy is to either just open the template itself for editing, or create a new map from it and look at the map notes there.

edited October 2022

Thank You Remy, pretty sure I did not delete them as I have not been in the map notes. I did open and copy a file into the maps to get the styles from darklands but did not actually paste the map into mine. Could that have done it as It was working fine up until I did that?

Not as I am aware of. I tried inserting a file a couple of times, but I couldn't find a way to get it to affect the map notes.

If you could get it to happen again and find some reproducible steps, that would be great.

Did you delete any sheets in your drawing? In particular the LAND sheet?

edited October 2022

Yes I did because I had a land sheet that had brown terrain and a sheet called land green with green terrain before I decided to just stay with the green terrain. I renamed land green to land after deleting the original land sheet.

Great. Means your issue is caused by the bug I stumbled over. Turns out notes also live on a sheet, so if you accidentally delete the one they're on (which there is no way to tell) you also delete the notes. Seems like they're on the LAND sheet for lot of the official templates (by pure coincidence), but no guarantee all templates are like that (probably not, since city and dungeon styles don't have a LAND sheet at all).

I've reported this to the appropriate authorities.

Jeff BLoopysue
  • FYI, then happens to me and I don't delete any sheets outside of the ones I manually add so there are other ways.

While working on an overland map in Darklands, I needed to use the ruins from the Darklands city. I click on the CD3 to get the city menu. It only gives me the basic options for buildings on styles. I load the Darkland city into the master filter options. I add the ruins to the map. I switch the menus back by clicking on the CC3 button. However, all of the default symbols have changed away from the Darklands overland (or city). It is not in the Master Filter either. I had to manually add it.

The behavior you experience there, if not perfectly desirable, is expected. When you click the add-on buttons to switch to a different map type, the current master filter doesn't really make any sense any more (filters designed for overland maps wouldn't match anything from city maps) so the default filter for that type of map is loaded (since it doesn't really have any better choices, there aren't any "link" between similarly named style of the map types, to CC3+ darklands city and darklands overland is just as different as isometric dungeons are different from cosmographer starmaps, so it has no choice but to use the default). Unfortunately, CC3+ doesn't have a good way of returning to the map settings either, these are set when a map is loaded, but once you have already "broken" the master filter settings by switching to other add-ons, switching back to the original one won't automatically restore the filters, they will again be the default for that add-on (which almost certainly does not include the style of whatever map you are working on).

However, as long as you aren't getting into the situation Jeff was, where the map notes that are responsible for setting up the map had actually been deleted, the quick workaround is to simply save your map, then just pick it from the recent file list in the File menu, this will reload the current map, but it will trigger the macros which will set up the environment correctly again.