[WIP] Winter Village

Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
edited September 2022 in Show and Tell

Decide to try out the Winter Village annual. I have posted a daylight and Night versions. I have just started the map and I'm still working on the direction that I want to go with this project.

I think it needs the annual needs more accessory symbols as it seems kind of bare.

Comments and suggestion always welcome.

roflo1[Deleted User]LoopysueRalfMonsenWazzebuWyvernJimPEukalyptusNowpablo gonzalezand 5 others.

Comments

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor

Updated daytime version. Still needs some additional work but think it is coming along. Should have the final daytime and updated night version tomorrow.

Ricko HascheMonsenLoopysueLoreleiadelia hernandez[Deleted User]WeathermanSwedenpablo gonzalezEukalyptusNow

Here is what I think is the final day time version of the project. Higher Resolution in gallery.

comments and suggestions welcome.

[Deleted User]LoopysueJimPWyvernadelia hernandezpablo gonzalezroflo1LautiEukalyptusNow

Ok here is the Night version #1 with 20% light. Each color light and type of light are on their own sheet.

Higher Resolution image in gallery.

[Deleted User]LoopysueJimPWeathermanSweden
    edited October 2022

Ok here is the Night version #2 with 15% light a small adjustment just to darken up the image a bit. Each color light and type of light are on their own sheet.

Higher Resolution image in gallery.

Monsen[Deleted User]LoopysueJimPRicko Hasche
  • It's a good looking drawing.

Maybe a bit too pristine in places on the worn paths, but that's likely by choice for this scene, I appreciate.

I might have been tempted to add a snowflake design indented into the snow somewhere - maybe for the dot on the "i" instead of the tree there, for all they can be a bit tricky to draw.

Also, the shadows from the bare trees seem too heavy. I know this is how the effects generate shadows, by looking not at what the symbol is, but what its physical edges are only. They really don't look right for these leafless trees though.

That really threw me off on the night scenes especially, as at first I couldn't work out why certain bits of the scene were darker than others. The pale lower left corner still looks odd though (light source is where?), even after that, and the bird looks weird in the night scene as well.

Gotta feel for those deer too - frozen to their respective spots by day and night, poor souls. Deer, deer... 😉

JimP

@Wyvern I adjusted the paths added some frozen mud should be able to see dirt on side of paths now. Replaced tree in the i to a snowflake (cheated found a snowflake dingbat), Adjusted shadows on glow on bare trees. I added a light in lower right side to add some light in that corner and added a lighted tree from the house across the creek. (Original light from lower left was just to highlight the snow text.)

I know the eagle is out of place in the night scene but I do like it (maybe it's an owl that looks like an eagle). Think of the deer as targets for archery practice. Just to mix thing up the wildlife do move now.

Thank you for your comments.

Adjusted the tinting of the snow words to make it stand out more. Replace the stock frame with and day and night version frame.

This project is actually for the Annual Holiday Photo Card contest at work. I asked if I could submit a none photo, they wanted to see what I meant so I showed them the first draft. I was told I could enter even though it's not a photo. So some of the additions and changes I made were from comments made by people at work. They also wanted the night lighting increase to lighten the entire image up. It also reflects early evening so the deer and eagle don't seem so out of place.

as always comments and suggestions are welcome and high-res version in gallery

LoopysueWyvernJimPLautiEukalyptusNow

Night version @15% lighting

Loopysue

night version @35% lighting

LoopysueWyvern
  • Like the eagle heading home in the night version now!

Given that deer tend towards the crepuscular, they'd probably be fine in the lower (brighter) night scene too; maybe not actually so much on the daytime one, though as winter days in the north are so short anyway, this is likely moot.

Shadows are much improved now, I think.

Might be worth trying a boldface version of the snowflake dingbat, just to make it stand out a little more (on the day scene especially). Not sure that'll work though, as boldface sometimes reduces the clarity of finer lines on characters too.

Must admit, I'd thought it was probably for a holiday-themed project of some kind (the title's the giveaway 😉!).

JimPMaidhc O Casain