Oh god, installation woes!

Ok so I've searched around and seen the various guides for installing CC3 with older addons and in vista etc etc.

They havn't really helped me. I uninstalled after installing just a couple of things.

They are still *extremely* vague. How so?

"install CC3"
"patch"
"install compatibility updates"
"install CC3 addons"

your done.

Really? So exactly where and when am I supposed to install the actual pre-CC3 addons? NOTHING mentions them.

I assumed I was to put them into the CC3 directory so I tried that after installing the compatibility. I think it worked.

Then I installed Character Artist Pro to the CC3 directory after installing the compatibility patch.

uh oh.

CC3 had to be uninstalled because it decided it was actually CC2 but nothing worked. all the menus would pop up and the program would refer to itself as CC2. Character Artist Pro forced a CC2 patch into CC3 when it installed. ugh.

help.. /cry.

----

Edit I should mentioned i bought 'the whole shebang' quite a ways back and dont have the money to upgrade everything to CC3 versions (but not everything HAS been upgraded).

Currently I have - CC3, Character Artist 3, City Designer Pro, Cosmographer Pro, Dioramas Pro, Dungeon Designer 3, Fractal Terrains Pro, Perspectives Pro, Source Maps: Castles!, Source Maps, Temples, Tombs and Catacombs!, Symbol Set 1 Fantasy Overland, Symbol Set 2 Fantasy Floorplans, Symbol Set 3 Modern. Tome of Ultimate Mapping and WWII Atlas.

From what I understand symbol set 1 and 2 have CC3 versions out now - I dont have them, though I have discount offers for them on my registration page I simply can not afford to buy any more. Already spent like 5 or 6 hundred bucks on all this I intend to use it as is for a long long time lol.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 81 images Cartographer
    edited November 2009
    Posted By: LucentdepthsThen I installed Character Artist Pro to the CC3 directory after installing the compatibility patch.
    This is basically your problem. The "compatibility updates" isn't really an update, it is the the full version of the addon, updated to work with CC3. So as long as you are installing only CC3 and addons (as opposed to installing CC2 as well), you would only install the compatibility updates for the addons, and NOT the "Pro" version of the addons at all.
    Apart from that, all addons should be installed in the CC3 install directory.
    Really? So exactly where and when am I supposed to install the actual pre-CC3 addons? NOTHING mentions them.
    As explained above, they are not to be installed at all, unless you also install CC2 on your computer, in which case they must be installed in your CC2 directory (in this case, you would check the CC2 install instructions for details)

Note that the WWII Atlas does not have a compatibility update, but that is a standalone application. Just make sure to NOT install it into the CC3 directory.
  • Fractal Terrains is also a separate program, don't install it in the CC3 folder.
  • edited November 2009
    AHA. That should probably be clarified in there somewhere.

I know some of them are separate (fractal) or have no compatibility though.

Anyway I didn't think those would be the 'full' add on.. the files are SO tiny. But I guess it makes sense. The updates also asked for my serial codes.

I will reinstall and go from there then, thank you.

-----

EDIT

Scratch that idea. I've now uninstalled 3 times because the patch "failed to create all files" and restarted. Each time I uninstall the patch and CC3 it leaves behind a shit ton of systems files I have to manually delete, some of which vista wont let me delete as an administrator so I have to do a bunch of geeky crap through the command console just to uninstall.

Frustrating.
  • after much tinkering I finally got it to install and patch with all the files AND start succesfully and I am installing compatabilities now.
  • You don't mention it, but did you install into C:\program files or c:\ ?

Vista, but not all Vista versions nor all installs have this problem, lets you run programs easier if they aren't installed in C:\program files.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: Lucentdepthsafter much tinkering I finally got it to install and patch with all the files AND start succesfully and I am installing compatabilities now.
    Great to hear you managed to install everything. Everything you need as far as compatibility updates go should be on your registration page. Just register all the software you got, and the necessary links appear on the right side of the page.