How to Modify Pär Lindström Black and White?

I think this is CA 79.

I like the drawing tools, but I hate that this is locked in a 5:4 ratio. I need this to be 3:2. The instructions talk about stretching the borders. I have done that, but it is a pain. Also, I am unsure about the border. This seems to get in the way of drawing when I want a specific ratio.

Anyway, what I want to do is be able to use the style with any ratio like most other maps. I am fine to get rid of the border to accomplish my goal. I am thinking I need to create my own style. Annual 12 has instructions for that, but it is aimed at dungeons.

So, to get what I want, will I need to create a style or if there some other option? FYI, just resizing the map area preserves the 5:4 ratio. If I do need to create a new style, is there an easy guide for this? Basically all I want is all of the drawing tools, but for it to not be locked in a 5:4 ratio. Since that may ruin the border, then that removed or I can just hide the sheet.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2022

You don't need to make a new style, you should just make a new template for the style. Just make a copy of the existing one and edit your copy. The thing controlling the aspect ratio is the RESIZE map note, just change the contents from SCALE to STRETCH.

roflo1JulianDracos
  • Thanks. That mostly worked. It depends on the dimensions I put in as to how the borders display. Sometimes correct and sometimes that are missing parts. But I can always turn the border off.

The borders are the reason the reason the scaling was set that way in the first place. So your custom template should be without those, but you said in the initial post that you were fine getting rid of them. There isn't a way you can both keep that border AND support free scaling.

• I am fine with turning it off. I just thought it was odd that I could break the 5:4 ratio and sometimes the borders work and other times, parts of the black lines were missing. I was expecting more of a distort from stretching rather than black lines missing.

The lines have a fixed length. They are then scaled based on the width of the drawing, so if that doesn't match the ratio, they don't end up being long enough, or alternatively, too long. The new map wizard doesn't distort images, it always scales them proportionally. ()

roflo1