Importing jpg maps into FT3+

Is there a way to import maps like the ones here, https://answers.syr.edu/display/EarthSci/Paleogeographic+Maps into FT3+?

I suppose the best I could hope for would be to get the coastlines, but that would at least be a good start.

I want to create a new world based on Earth from previous milenia, including regional maps made from the global one.

Answers

• Thank you so much Weatherman 😀

I was able to follow the steps in the instructions you linked and got a map into FT3+ and then CC3+, but neither map looks anything like as good as the example screenshots (I'm using earth at 100 mya).

In FT3+ the heightmap doesn't look to be as accentuated with maximum altitudes around 9,000 feet - is that something to do with the input file being in metres and the default settings assuming it is in feet?

I also can't change the colouring on the map (as shown below), it stays on the default contour colouring no matter what I try and choose - I can view climate, temp and rainfall though.

When I save the map as a CC3+ file I can open it ok but it doesn't behave as other maps, eg I can't select a coast as an outline to make changes to it (fractalise and smooth).

The map also seem to have come through with a lower resolution than it was in FT3+ and doesn't zoom in well at all.

• I have done the above only one so I could be misremembering.

Each elevation range is a level of color that spans the entire map.

What I decided to do was use it as a guide, and draw the elevations, starting at the bottom, one at a time.

• edited August 2022

The height values of the original data is in meters as well as in the .mdr file for FT3.

I had a quick look at the original dataset you have used for generating your map and it contains erroneous height values up to 10.200 meters that are kept even after conversion to a .mdr file (my program assumes that the original dataset has no errors...). This leads to the effect that you described - that all heights seem to be coloured in a lower level colour (the map looks greener than it should look like).

To get rid of the erroneous heights I loaded the .mdr file into Wilbur (http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html) and searched for all heights above 5000 meters and replaced them with the value -5.200 meters which gave a satisfying result. Then I loaded the corrected .mdr file into FT3+ and made an export using Jerion style. But this style is optimised for feets so you have to change the world settings to feet before exporting.

The result in FT3 looks like this:

The result in CC3+ (the colour ramp ist optimised for data up to 30.000 feet but the highest mountains are only about the halv of that height...:

and the belonging FCW is attached.

That the height colours do not match exactly is in my opinion due to the two different setups - one for the colouring of the FT3 map and another for the export.

To get a little more dramatic map of the world I used the global math tool in FT3+ and multiplied all heights by the factor 2. The result in FT3+ looks a little strange, but the exported FCW for CC3+ looks quite realistic.

I only post the CC3+ result here:

and the belonging FCW:

Keep in mind that the heights in the legend are wrong by the factor 2 now...the must be corrected manually....

As you mentioned when you zoom in a map in FT3+ you always have more details as when you do it in CC3+. That is because of the simplifications that have to been made when converting gridded height data into vector lines.

LoopysueJimPMonsen[Deleted User]NZgunner
  • Once again, thank you so much for the help.

Looking at your examples, you seem to have borders around the landmasses which I'm assuming can then be used to fractalise and smooth the coastlines in CC3+ - how do you do that?