importing pngs with different origins

Hi folks!

I exported some grafics from a Computer game and wanted to import them for a map I'm working on. The game is made up of tiles but they are often grouped in bigger structures to make up a picture together. So one picture could be 2x2, another one could be 2x1 or 3x3 etc. As the export from the game is quite annoying I try to get by with as few symbols as possible, adding additional ones only when necessary. So I put the ones I need in a folder, use "import png" and use the symbols. The first patch worked great, but then I added a 2x1 that should have it's origin not in the center as the symmetrical ones do but in the position "down center".

It seems when importing this all the other symbols from this folder get changed to "down center" as well and those that where already placed on the map get shifted around according to the new origin.

Is there a way to import just one png from the folder without redefining the already existing ones?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer

That sounds like a really complicated operation.

What about consolidating all those tiny bits and pieces into larger png images in GIMP or some other bitmap app, and then importing the fully formed symbols as single entities?

Anyway...

If you want just one image to have a different origin import them all with the origin that is right for the majority, and then edit the one that needs a different origin from the Symbol Manager. Use View->Move origin to pick the new origin position while you are editing the symbol in the edit window.

Alternatively, you could just move that one symbol into a subfolder within the main one and import it on it's own with a different import origin.

FersusJimP
  • Ah! yes! Move origin! I totally forgot about that! thanks Sue!

Yes it is quite complicated if I would really use the 1x1 tiles. But I preassemble them in Gimp and then import them. That's why I get 2x2 along 2x1 etc. and of course they do need their own origin to still fit into the raster.

I think the best approach here would be to make subfolders of likewise origins, so I can add symbols later and don't always have to redo the origin of already existing out-of-the-norm symbols.

Thanks for the quick response, Sue!

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer