The World of Mahdran | Part 1

FarsightX3FarsightX3 Traveler
edited July 2022 in Show and Tell
My map designs are intended to show case the diversity of different zones inside of an MMORPG game world. It may seem a bit "patchy" to some because I pull from a multitude of terrain fills and symbol catalogs to express each zone in it's unique way. With this map, I decided to attempt to have more realistic biomes and transitions between biomes the best I can. Fluidity is important for this map.

This is Part 1 of 4 for my core mmorpg world map. I'm designing it on a 2x2 grid and will show all 4 parts, then later combine the 4 maps into one image using photoshop. The main catalog for this map is Sue's Spectrum Overland and I took the liberty to adjust the hues for her mountains to fit a more darker/grayish color palette that I enjoy.

The reason why I keep on revamping the same world map over and over is because I get inspirations of how to improve it, but this time it was more about gameplay decisions and how that would affect the player.

The reason for the 2x2 grid, is that this world is actually apart of a 4x4 grid with Expansion content around it. A big issue for MMORPG game worlds is that the classic game world becomes extinct not relevant when expansions comes out. In order to mitigate that issue, is to have pockets of the classic world be gateways to other expansions making that grid block relevant for that expansion. This grid block is meant for the Utlandast starting zone which consists of the Rooknai humans, Crypt Elves, Korelon, and Dwarves.

Map Biomes | Taiga and Temperate

**Map Legend Text**
Orange | Starting Zones
White | Wilderness
Blue | Friendly Castles/towns
Yellow | Interior/exterior dungeons
Green | Raid Campaigns
Purple | World Wonders
Red | Mountains/Seas

View Hi-res map below where you can zoom in:
https://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/16522322/img/4x4-World/Seseraxian-Empire.jpg

LoopysueJimPRicko Hascheroflo1Monsen