Can anyone confirm the functionality of CC3+ with Crossover Mac?

I have a CC3 license from a while back that I thought I might try out again, and being that I'm a Mac user these days I tried to install it using Crossover for Mac, but unfortunately I haven't been able to successfully install it. I was thinking I might upgrade to CC3+, but I don't want to risk it unless I'm confident that the newer software will work better in Crossover than the old CC3. Crossover claims excellent support for CC3+, but the ratings are all quite old and so can't be trusted.

So I thought I'd ask you guys in case someone here uses it. Is anyone currently using the most current version of CC3+ on an M1 or M1 Max MacBook or Mac Studio using Crossover for Mac? If you're successfully using it, did you need to do anything special beyond the basic installation using the CC3+ bottle template in Crossover?

Answers

• edited June 2022

I was running it successfully (Crossover 19), though text needed the New Metrics setting turned off, on the latest model intel Mac before the Big Sur upgrade. Rather than buy another license or buy a lifetime license for Crossover, I opted to run CC3+ via Bootcamp on an unregistered version of Windows 10, but have since deleted that (Bootcamp, not CC3+, caused performance issues with Mac), loaded it onto my work PC which I now access via MS Remote Desktop.

Hope that is of some assistance.

• It runs on Crossover, but the best performance will be in Parallels.. I have tried both and that was my experience. However, with Parallels, you consume a lot of harddrive space because you need a full version of Windows installed. In the end I just decided to not use CC3 on my M1 machine. I boot camp my intel iMac and CC3 runs beautifully there.

• 1 month later
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited August 2022

Just an update on Parallels and Campaign Cartographer.

I picked up an M2 Air so I revisited the whole CC3+ in Parallels setup and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is now. You do not need to join the Windows Insider program now to get Windows 11. If you are using an M1/M2 Mac, just install Parallels and it will automatically download the ARM version of Windows 11. Then just install CC3+ as normal and it runs beautifully.

MonsenjmabbottLoopysue
  • Damn it! Upgraded my Mac too early it seems...I got the last model of the Intel chip...

• It works fine with the intel chip also. I've been virtual Windows/CC3+/FT3 for 9 years with no problems.

Shessar
  • Well, I'm a bit of a tight wad so I didn't want to pay for Windows+Parallels nor did I want to re-purchase Crossover, hence why I opted for the Bootcamp and an unregistered Windows option. I'm also one of the laziest people you'll ever meet, so when my Mac was experiencing performance issues, on advice from my sister-in-law who works for Apple, I deleted the Bootcamp partition rather than taking the Mac to a Genius Bar to figure out what was wrong. Performance has improved a little but it's still fairly sluggish. Now at least I have CC3+ on my work machine, which I can access from home, I can work on my maps on the bosses time if work is a little slow.

• suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler

one little tip with crossover and cc3+ install is use the unlisted template and dont run cc3+ when prompted by the installer ( uncheck the tick box ) and let crossover finish setting up that install , once the "done" button is pressed you can now run cc3+ normally

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

dont run cc3+ when prompted by the installer ( uncheck the tick box )

This is generally good advice for any install of CC3+ (Windows, Mac, or whatever). That first run of CC3+ from the installer is executing in the wrong account (it's using whatever account the installer uses). However, you should try to run CC3+ as soon as practical after the installer finishes running because that first run of CC3+ sets up some associations for the file. The most recent installers may have a workaround for this issue, but executing CC3+ from the wrong account can lead to some mysterious things like the first file saved disappearing and never to be seen again because it goes into the wrong account.

Loopysue