Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas repairs.

Comments

• I thought you were taking notes for missing links in update3.

What what and what. I installed off of CD, Cherry picked all the correct maps, updated each in order 1 - 2 - 3. I don't understand why the early one works and the older one doesn't, ARG so frustrating.

Maybe tomorrow I will go through all 50 maps 4 times and see where I can find good ones. I thought we were so close to the finish line, and now this.

• On a positive note, at least I correctly worked out were those links were supposed to be!!!!

• What what and what. I installed off of CD, Cherry picked all the correct maps, updated each in order 1 - 2 - 3. I don't understand why the early one works and the older one doesn't, ARG so frustrating.

Sorry to hear that. At least you're no longer derailed?

Making an XP is sounding more and more interesting.

On a positive note, at least I correctly worked out were those links were supposed to be!!!!

Yes you did!

JimP
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    Here's my process, and attached spreadsheet. I'm currently working on step fifteen while I make myself decide whether I want to try and figure out XP to harvest all the link data or do it manually until I get tired of doing it and figure out XP anyway.
    1. Brand new install from CD - COMPLETE
    2. Copy all files from Maps to its own directory - COMPLETE
    3. Install Update One - COMPLETE
    4. Copy all files from Maps to its own directory - COMPLETE
    5. Install Update Two - COMPLETE
    6. Copy all files from Maps to its own directory - COMPLETE
    7. Install Update Three - COMPLETE
    8. Copy all files from Maps to its own directory - COMPLETE
    9. Do a directory listing of each directory to pull file names and datestamps - COMPLETE
    10. Dump all data into spreadsheet; calculate whether file names or datestamps have changed - COMPLETE
      Up to this point, everything is either pulled from the computer or calculated - no person thinking at all yet
    11. Validate whether FRIA CD map files open - COMPLETE
    12. Validate whether FRIA U1 map files open - COMPLETE
    13. Validate whether FRIA U2 map files open - COMPLETE
    14. Validate whether FRIA U3 map files open - COMPLETE
    15. Create Gold Directory - latest version of each file that opens - IN PROGRESS
    16. Validate that each file opens without obviously missing pieces (backgrounds seems to be common)
    17. Harvest links and compile into TO / FROM into spreadsheet
    18. Useful to keep other link information (coordinates and description)
    19. Verify all maps have a parent and link works correctly
    20. Verify all child links open a reasonable map
    21. What's next?
    JimP

• 16 Validate that each file opens without obviously missing pieces (backgrounds seems to be common)

I have only found 2 files that have background images that are causing a problem. I have not looked to closely into those though.

• Here's my process, and attached spreadsheet. I'm currently working on step fifteen while I make myself decide whether I want to try and figure out XP to harvest all the link data or do it manually until I get tired of doing it and figure out XP anyway.

Sort of on the same page.

I did download the XPlibs and compiled the cdxptest example today. I don't know how much I'll be able to dedicate to it (so.. no ETA), but at least the tools are in place.

Don Anderson Jr.

I have only found 2 files that have background images that are causing a problem. I have not looked to closely into those though.

I think I have these:
    1140 Macoley Farm.fcw
    1270 Mage-Lords Crypt.fcw
    30042 Golden Mosque.FCW
    4150 Essembra.FCW
    4880 Skaug.FCW
    Looks like it is consistent across all versions.
    roflo1 said:

Sort of on the same page.

I did download the XPlibs and compiled the cdxptest example today. I don't know how much I'll be able to dedicate to it (so.. no ETA), but at least the tools are in place.

You're so much smarter than me! I am still putting it off for now. Partly because I always go towards making a good manual process before I turn to making an automated one. And it's been cutting into my Mass Effect time, so going to give that a little attention first.

• Found the layers where each of the images is not showing. I think these were all reference maps.

1140 I had to delete the image, because of the vegetation symbols would not show. The others I just hid each offending layer.

1140 Macoley Farm.fcw vegetation layer

1270 Mage-Lords Crypt.fcw temporary layer

30042 Golden Mosque.FCW map border layer

4150 Essembra.FCW temporary layer

4880 Skaug.FCW temporary layer

JimP
  • So... I took a dive to see which were these missing background images.

As fas as I could recall, FRIA didn't support images at all, and it does seem to be that way. This is the FRIA screenshot with all layers shown:

And this is the same map in CC3+ with all layers shown:

But that's not all. In CC3+ you can go to File->CC2 to CC3 conversion... and choose a target style (I chose dungeon CC3 style) and this is the result:

As you can see, the image is loaded automagically (doesn't look too good, though). What you can't see in a screenshot is that multiple sheets were added (FRIA didn't have sheets either). BTW, just deleting the entity with the missing fill, seems to show the same image than the FRIA.

My guess? This was probably some early experimentation towards adding raster fills to maps, but never made it to the official product. The fact that FRIA simply ignores these entities makes me think this theory could be right.

Don Anderson Jr.JimPthehawkLoopysue
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2022

@roflo1 wrote

My guess? This was probably some early experimentation towards adding raster fills to maps, but never made it to the official product. The fact that FRIA simply ignores these entities makes me think this theory could be right.

Sorry, but it appears @Don V Anderson Jr. had the better guess here.

The full path of the missing image is D:\CC2\Atlas\FR\Work\HWScan\30042 Golden Mosque 2.bmp. The file name indicates it was a reference image used when working on the map.

The result you're getting is simply the image being in a format not used in CC3+ anymore, and the converter converts this to a plain polygon, and you are then seeing the specified fill style take effect (Everything in CC3+ has a fill style, although depending on the entity type, it may not normally have any effect, like on images)

As for raster fills, they were supported back in the CC2 days too, that fill you're seeing there is the old stone fill from back then. It only supported .bmp format though, and lacked proper scaling options.

JimPDon Anderson Jr.roflo1
  • The only reason I got that guess correct is because that is how I used to build my maps.

Plus some of them were portrait and others landscape.

• Thanks Monsen!

The full path of the missing image is D:\CC2\Atlas\FR\Work\HWScan\30042 Golden Mosque 2.bmp. The file name indicates it was a reference image used when working on the map.

So... the right solution would be to delete the entity, right? (and by right, I mean: this would be the best way to "fix" this FRIA map)

The only reason I got that guess correct is because that is how I used to build my maps.

Yeah, I've done that as well. Albeit recently, with CC3+.

I didn't have CC2 back in the day, so I'm unsure what features were supported back then, my guess was based on my experience with FRIA.

• So... the right solution would be to delete the entity, right? (and by right, I mean: this would be the best way to "fix" this FRIA map)

That is what I did to repair mine. I think it is the easiest solution.

roflo1

Yes, delete it, it is just leftover construction aids.

roflo1
  • .0420 Caxal's Palace.FCW" NO LINK FROM HELMSPORT 4220 long red house

Use update 1 4220 Helmsport - working links

.0430 Drakosa Estate.FCW" NO LINK FROM HELMSPORT 4220 lord drakosas plantation

Use update 1 4220 Helmsport - working link

.0460 Death's Head Bar.FCW" LINK FROM AZATL 3820

.0470 Golotl's House.FCW" LINK FROM AZATL 3820

use update 1 3820 azatl need to move the links they are under the legend

.0530 The Gilded Kiva Surroundings.fcw

use update 1 4530 michaca

• Can I ask what the point of all this is, if we can't access the revisions? All it seems to be doing is tellin us what is wrong, and what you are doing to fix them, but thah only works for you. So why are you continuing with this thread. It makes no sense.

Well, they are doing a good job of telling what the problem is and how to fix it for anyone interested in giving their own install a touch-up. Anyone who owns the atlas product can follow these instructions. They can't share the actual maps for copyright reasons, so this is a great second-best resource for fixing things yourself.

Loopysue
  • Still wonder why the bother, but I accept your answer

Because it is useful to several people. This thread allows the participants to discuss and give input on their work and share their findings. Discussing ProFantasy products (and what you can make with them) is the main purpose of this forum, and while not in sale anymore, the FR Atlas is still a ProFantasy product, still used by a lot of people, making this the ideal place to have this discussion. Not all discussions have to be relevant to every forum member for them to be valuable.

Loopysue
  • Yes, I understand that. I suppose I am very frustrated, because I can't get the missing maps - the link problem is not an issue for me, but I would like to have had the missing maps. it is pathetic that WOTC insists on enforcing a copyright, even though the product is no longer available from them.

That's just how copyrights works unfortunately. It's still their material to do what they want with even if the products isn't available anymore.

Even if WOTC doesn't keep the patches on their site any more, they're still available using archive.org though. I just tested the links, and they work fine.

LoopysueJimProflo1
  • I have all the patches and everything. Just not the CD, which is at my ex-wife's house. <groan>

• I feel your pain. I didn't have this disc for the longest time then I stumbled across a pristine copy of the disc a few years ago.

Noticing a whole bunch of flaws I have taken upon myself the task of trying to make this product back to how it was envisioned. A few other awesome members have taken on other excellent tasks so we can make this happen. While not breaking any copywrite rules.

I am also thinking that maybe in 20-30 or more years. There may be people who come across this product and wouldn't mind for it to work perfectly.

It makes sense to me to try share HOW to repair it. People always take on labours of love and this is mine. I'm a huge fan of Ed Greenwood and his Forgotten Realms. (a fav Canadian of mine) If there is some small thing I can do for the realms, why not do it.

If you ever have a few extra bucks they are sold on E-Bay, they are costly, but the things we do for the things we love.

roflo1JimPLoopysue
  • Here's an interesting one... 10020 Blackfeather Bridge.FCW

The maps for cd-update1 and update2-3 are completely different. As far as I can tell:

• CD and Up1 show the Blackfeather bridge Village.
    • Up2-3 show the bridge itself and surroundings.

My proposal, would be to keep both maps:

1. Rename the one from CD or Up1 to "10020 Blackfeather Bridge Village.FCW".
    2. Add a link to this new map from Featherdale.FCW
    3. Add a text link between the two 10020 maps.

Thoughts?

JimPDon Anderson Jr.
  • Any maps that differ between original and updates should be kept. So I agree.

roflo1
  • Awesome find.

I wholeheartedly agree. Link the area map first, then the local next. excellent!

JimProflo1
  • Ok, how does this look?

Featherdale with 2 hotspots:

.. the bridge with a link to the village:

... and the village with a link to the bridge:

MonsenJimP
  • Can you do a walk thru for what you did.

Just so others can replicate it. Once we are complete then we can make a complete pdf to go about each fix.

I am trying to go through the list slowly for the rest of the broken links.

• .1230 Tessaril's Tower.FCW"LINK FROM EVENINGSTAR 4160 building 8

.1240 The House of the Morning .fcw"LINK FROM EVENINGSTAR 4160 largest red building

use map 4160 eveningstar.fcw from update 1 fixes the broken links above

.1270 Mage-Lords Crypt.fcw" MISSING BACKGROUNDNO LINK FROM DAGGER FALLS 3981 off map link???

.1280 Eagle's Eyrie.FCW"LINK FROM DAGGER FALLS 3981 off map link???

use map 3981 dagger falls.fcw..fixes the broken links above

.2170 Khazari Ra-Khati House.fcw"LINK FROM B1DneLC,FCW off map link

.2180 Horseshoe Temple.FCW"LINK FROM B1DneLC,FCW off map link horseshoe temple oasis

.2350 Red Mountain Monastery.fcw"LINK FROM B1DneLC,FCW no idea on placement

4430 manass no link from b1dnelcse

use map B1dNElc.fcw adds in locations and the links for the four maps above