Latest Update Won't Download

I've been trying to download update 3.98 from my registration page and nothing happens. I've tried in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, all with my VPN turned on and turned off. All I get is a "waiting for secure.profantasy.com" message and the little timer wheel just goes around and around... I had no trouble downloading this month's annual.

Comments

• I downloaded mine about an hour before your post with no problems. I also tried before typing this reply and it seems to be fine on my end.

Since I have nothing else to offer, I'll drop some brainstorming ideas:

• Logout and login again
    • Use/borrow another computer
    • Force refresh (Ctrl+F5)

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Scott :)

I use IDM, which might be an idea to try because it is capable of automatically restarting a stalled download. I didn't notice any issues other than it taking 20 minutes to download instead of the usual 10. The speed of the Amazon servers does seem to vary.

If you still can't download it please can you let Tech Support know?

• ScottAScottA Surveyor

...I finally got it. I just let the little wheel spin and eventually it connected to ProFantasy and I got the file. Can't imagine why it took so long, though? As long as I got it, that's all I care.

Loopysue

It could be a number of reasons - though the most likely is the speed of the Amazon server.

I'm glad you got it sorted out, though :)

ScottA
  • US Internet has been rather flaky for almost a year now. Sometimes during the day it is great, other times dial-up is faster. Or I get no connection.

Interestingly, getting to Everquest in California is problemtatic, I rarely have problems connecting across the Atlantic to Profantasy.

ScottA
  • Glad you managed to sort this out Scott. I found the download speed was VERY variable yesterday evening when I picked-up the latest CC3+ Update (about 4 hours before your own attempt, from the time-stamp on your first post). Initially Windows "estimated" 20 minutes, which then rapidly increased to over an hour, before dropping back sharply after a few minutes. It actually downloaded in under ten minutes in the end. Seems likely there were some oddities ongoing all over, however.

This afternoon here, I had my connection drop-out entirely for no obvious reason at all about 90 minutes ago. It does this from time to time, which I assume is something fairly local, though actually, it hadn't done it since last November till today.

ScottA

@Wyvern - don't forget that UK broadband will be busier than usual with lots of spikes and dips - all the razzmatazz of the Royal jubilee can't really help but affect it.

• ScottAScottA Surveyor

Yes, the interwebs have been very touchy lately. I never know if it's the service or my VPN mucking things up. Some sites won't open unless I turn the VPN off for some reason. Or I get those damn annoying captcha verification things. Sometimes I have to go through half a dozen or more before I can connect to a site!

Wyvern
  • One of the Twitch livestreams I follow more regularly runs out of New York City, and they seem to have endless problems with their Internet connectivity. I gather from what's been said that this is a particular NYC thing, where each few city blocks ends up trapped with only one available ISP, so even complaining doesn't help, as you can't threaten to switch to a different provider.

And don't get me started on those dratted "Captcha" things. Great, images so tiny I can't even guess what they might be showing, and you want me to identify a what in each of them (US terms do not always travel well, folks...)?

[Deleted User]LoopysueScottA
  • Some Captcha allows sounds.