Resizing of all symbols causes redraw 'blank spaces'.

First post, so bare with me if I'm breaking any forum laws. I tried the search function first and found a few related, but not exact matches to the issue I'm having.

Panning and zooming is slow. I've tried disabling some effects (glow and blur), based on other posts about performance hits.

I've tried using less than half my monitor to reduce the footprint used by CC3. All of these seem to have negligible or zero effect.

Whenever I try to move, scale or rotate an image it doesn't 'draw' the changes until I zoom in or out. It makes it impossible to rotate or find the 'right size'.

Any other levers or buttons I'm missing here to make this usable? It didn't always used to be this way.

Here is an example of trying to rotate a building on my map. If I zoom in or out or pan, the map redraws and I can see the 'final review' of my rotate... but trying to do this by degrees, or even in increments of 15 when the point of center isn't well understood is impossible.

Thoughts?

Zach

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I tend to rock the mouse wheel one click back and forth to force a redraw if I'm in the middle of moving or rotating something.

• As soon as I click to pick a center or origin, it removes the symbol (or hides it). Essentially when I force a redraw it's 'mid step' in the rotate, so the symbol is there if I click to finish the process, but the redraw does not put it back on my screen in the orientation it would be at, at that point.

Good point though!

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Try hitting Tab while in the middle of the operation. It toggles previews on and off.

• Sadly not. Similar behavior. :(

• And this didn't always used to happen. I did upgrade the version of CC3+ at once point, but the issue cropped up during the same version (eg: Didn't start after the upgrade immediately).

At this point, I can't really update the map because the edits take so much time to do something seemingly simple.

• This software does have a learning curve. Over the past 21 years, I have used a version of CC to make about five thousand maps. I had much difficulty starting out as I had no one to talk to.

This forum is helpful and I hope you learn more about map making.

I've been trying to replicate this, but the only way I manage to is by hitting Tab mid-command. But if that doesn't help, I am unsure what it could be. But try to check out Tools -> Options -> Editing Options. The default settings are as in my image, but you can try changing the cursor type and see if that helps.

• I changed the settings from what you show here to 'Always use bounding box' and 'Skip entities with long redraws...'.

It didn't make an impact to the symptom I'm having. I did manage to do what I needed to do on a small scale by paying attention to the rotation degree that shows up in text on the draw bar after clicking 'Do It' for a function (like resize).

Not ideal, but at least this task is done.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

If none of that works, you should consider contacting support. They can hopefully help you out. You find the tech support form on your registered user pages.

LoopysueJimP