Effects, DELAYDRAWSYM 0, and semi-transparent symbols

I have some symbols on a sheet that I would like to use the colorize effect on in order to slightly shift their hue. Since these are bitmap symbols, I need to use DELAYDRAWSYM 0 in order for those effects to take, but when I ran it I saw something I hadn't seen before...big chunks of the images basically disappeared.

From searching the forum I gathered that effects don't work great with bitmap symbol image pixels that have any alpha component to them. Unfortunately looking closer at the images I do notice that a good percent of the pixels are set to e.g. 95-98% opacity. But it seems like if there are any effects on those sheets, those pixels are rendered fully (or at least close to fully) transparent.

Of course I could go back to all of these symbols and remove that opacity by hand, but that would be a chore. Is there any effect or filter or anything I can do in CC3 in order to set an "opacity threshold" or something like that? Basically anything that's only barely transparent I want to be able to make CC ignore the alpha component of before it runs any effects. Is something like this possible?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Sorry, no. There isn't anything like that available.

The situation you have run into is the reason why DELAYDRAWSYM is enabled by default in the first place. turning it off is only applicable in situations where you do not have conflicting symbols.

• Yeah, figured as much after awhile searching. It's not the end of the world. I can do a threshold removal of the alpha channel using ImageMagick but I'd love to do just do this all in CC3.