oh dear... Traveller Sub-Sector 3d mapping, I hope

Side view of a sub-sector... one version. This is the one I came up with.

But there are 80 places to put planet maps in a sub-sector. This one column, or 10 places. So if I wanted to make layer D or E the 'center' of that sub-sector, then other planets could be mapped above and below that center area.

You in the back, no screaming ! Headaches are okay.

This is what the standard overhead view of a sub-sector looks like.

So, I would have to make 8 of the first map... or figure out a way to 'stack then sideways.

That means all but one would have a transparent, or no, background so all the planet maps in a sub-sector could be seen.

Of course, I could use star symbols, and have links to each planet map page.

There is another 3d sub-sector template out there.

That one stacks them, but only above, on, and below the ecliptic.

If I wanted to do more layers... it would take multiple maps of the one just above this text.

I would love it if I could figure out an easier way to use the top one, but it looks like I'll be using the bottom one.

What do you think ?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Honestly, I would probably abandon the traveller symbols and use the cosmographer height symbols instead. The indicators on those were made to show positions above/below the plane.

Making multiple maps does not make sense to me, because then you are removing all ability to show things in relation to each other, which is a very important aspect.

• I really don't understand why you want to add a third dimension to jump space. I've always considered jump space to be intrinsically different from normal space in that while N-space is 3-dimensional J-space was effectively 2-dimensional and cellular in nature. Adjacent cells in J-space usually exit into N-space about a parsec apart but that distance and relative N-space positions can vary widely. If you want to map a subsector in 3d forget the hex map entirely and place the worlds where you want in a 3d N-space map. You can still use Traveller symbols for illustrating the characteristics of the systems if you want to. (Normal space positions only matter if you aren't using jump drives.)
  • I doubt I would do my entire site with this, because it would mean a big jump in the number of maps.

From discussions in Traveller threads elsewhere, people believe there should be a way to show that not all solar systems are on the ecliptic.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

To map something in true 3D you would have to use a 3D model, such as a Blender model. I'm not suggesting that you should actually go and do that, but to consider that there is a real limit to how complicated a 2D map can become in its attempt to describe a 3D situation before it becomes unreadable.

Wouldn't it be better just to map the location of each solar system on a master map, and then to map each solar system as a separate map, with maybe some kind of 3D alignment symbol to show it's orientation relative to the plane of the master map?

• One could also look at AstroSynthesis from NBOS (which is available on DriveThru). There's a plug-in to do Traveller system generation, but I can't vouch for how current or accurate it is. (Actually, I think there's two.) I believe there are some potentially interesting import and export functions, too, though I can't swear to it.

https://nbos.com/products/astrosynthesis/screen-shots

• I have Astrosynthesis, but its too small text for me to read easily. I zoom in, and I lose track of my start point.

This will mostly be an experiment. So I don't think I'll do much beyond trying it out to see if I can come up with a 3D representation of a sub-sector. Of course, it it turns out to be easy, I could do more than one sub-sector.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Tried an insert of a second map, it went on the grid sheet and layer... the fcw contained a sheet and layer for Worlds2. No idea why the fcw went to grid instead of the active sheet and layer worlds 2.

Anyway. I got them all fixed. I placed some planets on layer worlds and some on Worlds 2.

Here is the jpg with all of them.

Just worlds layer.

with just worlds 2 layer active.

I think this would be fairly easy to do, but I'm not doing my entire Traveler site.

• I need to displace slightly each column so they look different.