FT3+ Crashes Immediately On Opening

After using the demo version for a couple weeks without issue, I bought FT3+. However, the program crashes immediately on opening. I'm not seeing any error messages—though as several windows are open when the program first boots up, it's possible an error message is hiding behind another open window (they disappear almost immediately, so I can't move them). ProFantasy's support pages make me think maybe I need to install a patch due to previously having installed the demo, but I can't find a link to the patch. Can anyone help me out here?

Comments

• If you have ft3+, you should contact tech support via your main Profantasy site login.

• I do and I have, but decided to also post here in case this was faster or they were unhelpful.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Try holding down the shift key as you start ft (hold down the shift key while you click the ft icon and keep holding it down until the main screen appears). Holding down the shift key should tell the program to ignore it's config file and start with the built-in default values.

• Holding down the shift key doesn't seem to work. I did, however, find the error logs, or part of them anyway:

Faulting application name: FT.exe, version: 3.5.1.0, time stamp: 0x619261a6

Faulting module name: FT.exe, version: 3.5.1.0, time stamp: 0x619261a6

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000141cd5

Faulting process id: 0x1e9c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d844810b68b4f8

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ProFantasy\FT3.5\FT.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\ProFantasy\FT3.5\FT.exe

Report Id: 4dbf78ed-abc4-4fbd-85f1-4d75775115af

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

This is on Windows 11.

I've never tried ft3 on windows 11, so I can't advise you there. I'll see if I can get any useful information out of that offset later today.

I wasn't able to get the address provided to correlate with anything I had locally. I guess it's been a few compiler and code revisions since that last build.

I did see that it wasn't Shift that you needed to hold down at startup to prevent it from loading the last settings, but rather Shift and Ctrl together. Sorry about that.

Another possibility (if it's a corrupted configuration file) is to go to the %ProgramData%\Profantasy\FT35 directory and rename FT3Cfg.xml to _FT3Cfg.xml and possibly the various Default.* files to _Default.* (e.g. Default.lgt would be renamed to Default.lgt). Then start FT3 and it will use only its default values. Assuming that an uninstall/reinstall didn't fix the problem.

• Shift + Ctrl doesn't work. Nor does renaming files seem to work. Is it possibly relevant that I had the demo installed, then uninstalled it? Not sure if that could have messed something up.

FT3+ should install everything into separate locations from the demo and from FT3, so there shouldn't be any crosstalk between versions.

There may be something about Windows 11 that's different from Windows 10 in terms of what the program is doing. I suppose I need to set up a machine and install Windows 11 on it to see if it has the same problem. I won't be able to get to that for at least a few weeks, though.

• Okay, so I got a reply to my official support request back and they told me to install https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe which worked. Which surprised me because I believe I had to install a very similar redistributable to get Wilbur to work (which I also tried out before buying FT3+). I guess I may have had a slightly wrong version installed?

Ah, I had understood that the main screen was coming up and then the program crashed. A missing redistributable file should cause the program to fail before the main screen appears, usually with a note about missing files. The current redistributables for VS2019 should fix the problem, then.

• The main screen was coming up, followed by a program crash. But it kind of makes sense—the file wasn't missing, I had just installed the wrong version.

The redistributables are usually pretty good about internal versioning and redirection, but I guess something's not quite working right for one of the components.