Atlas - Forlorn Archipelago - Justice Island -Minotaur Dungeon

Preliminary. And a bit different. Not shown, ice down below, not water.

821 x 1000 pixels so no larger in gallery.

There are two places where the cutaway walls don't quite match. An adventurer could toss a burning torch down there, to see what is below.

Uploaded a numbered map, and added arrows where the break in the walls are located.

I had meant to have one huge floor, with stairs going down in several places. I may put that on the right side of the map.

LoopysueRicko HascheRalfLauti

Comments

• overall and the new section to the right side.

New area has several store rooms. One on the same level.

Loopysue[Deleted User]LautiRicko Hasche
  • An update and the closeup of the new area.

Added more items to the map. Divided up room 15 into 15 and 16. Taller walls for room 15, 16, and the new 17.

MonsenLoopysueLautiRicko Hasche
  • I've added a number of rooms, furniture, chests, debris,etc. to this map. I'll upload tonight or Thursday.

Ricko Hasche
  • Another bit on making these types of dungeons. Sometimes having snap on helps, and sometimes it doesn't.

Probably a larger snap area, than the 5' grid, that comes with it would be better. Of course, I won't know until I try it.

Does anyone know what specifications to use ?

Isometric 5' grid

4 divisions, X spacing 4.33013, Y spacing 2.50000, Grid center 6.69872,3.63249

• Another question. By eye, I think the steps on this piece touch the floor a few stair symbols back. Or this is correct ?

I don't know which one.

Should I leave it the way it is ? Or erase some of the stair symbols ?

Thanks !

Ricko Hasche
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The problem here is that having "free-floating" stairs on top of a floor does mess with the illusion quite a bit. They kind of all look like they are placed on the ground, behind each other.

Maybe the use of a drop shadow could work, but that would be tricky to set up given the different height of the stairs. Would probably look more natural if you avoided having floor below the floating stairs....

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Can we see a bit more - the whole staircase?

• Here is the fcw and the entire stairs in a jpg.

Ricko Hasche

How about taking all but the start and end of the staircase out, and using some kind of arrow at either end to point up or down the stairs?

• Might work. I'll have to go to an earlier version as trying to delete just the stair symbols is going to be difficult.

I do save as often, and increment the number at the end of the file name with each one.

Loopysue
  • Didn't have to go back to an earlier version.

I used 'text (white)' sheet for the arrow.

LoopysueRicko Hasche

Does that look better to you?

(I like it, but its really your decision, Jim)

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Honestly, I don't think the arrow work very well. It's going to almost dissapear when you zoom out to look a the full map, and it is a jarring break from how the rest of the map is built up.

Do you have to have the floor beneath the stairs? The illusion works much better when the stairs are "free"

• I can see it zoomed out to show the entire map, but it disappears over the floor.

I'm going to put rooms on the floor and a wall around it.

But I have to do things around the house for several days. I can work on it at night.

• I have gone back a few versions, and made it step symbols all the way. I'm working on it, and will post a map update shortly.

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2022

I can add more, like the open area in room 24, could have more rooms.

23 is one big trap.

Larger 3000 pixel jpg in my gallery.

Loopysue[Deleted User]GlitchRicko Hasche
  • updated map. I added a connecting bit between 21 and 24.

Overall map first.

closeup of the connecting bit. Characters open the door at 27, attack a grappling hook and rope, climb down to 24E.

A closeup of 23. All a big trap.

MonsenLoopysueGlitchRicko Hasche
  • Working on the text descriptions for the rooms. I'll post for comments when done.

• Here we go ! The referee should note the various pieces of special information.

Minotaur Dungeon

There is at least one minotaur in this dungeon. The minotaur has the ability to be invisible.

There are two places where the cutaway walls don't quite match. An adventurer could toss a burning torch out the opening, to see what is below.

Rooms are 10 feet high walls unless otherwise stated. Ice and fog far below the rooms.

Note that many rooms in this dungeon wont hold more than 3 or 4 characters. Choose wisely.

Monster placement is up to the referee.

The rooms and stairs could be cutaway so you can see the room interiors, or there might not be any walls for the rooms or the stairs other than what is mapped. Your decision.

1 ) entrance, the water can be barely there, or a great flash flood of water goes through. Wood door to room 2.

2 ) Square room. A table with two cadelabras. Stone door leads to a store room 2A. Wood door opens to a rope bridge to room 4. A stone archway leads to a rope bridge to room 3.

2A ) a large wood box.

3 ) Entrance is a broken wood door. Three metal cook pots. Three chairs and a table. Vegetable tray, meat tray, bread, and cleaver with cutting board on the table.

4 ) Wood door leads back to room 2. Another wood door leads to room 5. Stairs lead down to room 6. A small gap in the wall, arrow points to it, allows someone to look out into the dungeon.

Three stone coffins. Seven stalagmites. Two holes in the floor. Two walls of portcullis are there to prevent a fall. The other side of the stairs have no protection from a fall.

Two wood crates.

5 ) odd-shaped room. Rock pile. Wood door leads to wooden stairs to go to room 17. Wood door leads to stone steps thazt go to room 6.

6 ) Stone steps down from room 4. Stone steps with wood steps down from room 5. Wood door goes to a walkway, no walls on either side, which goes to room 7.

7 ) Rectangular room. Appears to be empty except for the freshly placed torch. Exit door to room 8 is broken.

8 ) Broken wood door from room 7. Open wall leads to stone steps down to room 18. Three chests.

9 ) A wide open room. Wood and stone steps up to room 12. Stone steps up to room 10. Wood door opens into room 13. Stone single steps go down to room 20.  Double wide steps leading down to room 14. They might become unstable if a character hurries up or down them.

10 ) A small room. The shelves are probably empty. Table and chair. Exit door is broken and goes down to room 9.

11 ) Stone door entrance. A shelf, a chest, and a crate. The steps go down to room 12.

12 ) Stone steps lead up to room 11. Door and stone steps lead down to room 9.

13 ) Wood door entrance. sometimes the minotaur sits on the chest around the corner from the entrance. One wood crate, two barrels, 2 shelves, and one chest.

rooms 14, 15, 16, and 17 are one of the ways to get to the right hand side of the map.

14 ) Double wood doors open onto stone steps leading up to room 9. Stone door eads to wooden ladder down to room 15. Whispering of those the minotaur killed can be heard in thias room.

15 ) Wood ladder leads up to room 14. Stone door opens to room 16. Two stone sarcophagi. Three floor drains. One recently placed torch. A small space between room 15 and room 16 can be used by small characters like gnomes or halflings. This room could be the burial on the two who used room 16 as a Royal Court.

16 ) Wood door leads up to room 17. Stone door connects to room 15. Three shelves and a lit torch. Two small chairs on a pedestal.

17 ) Walls all around are 20 feet high. Two rock piles. Two torches about to go out. Wood door leads up wood stairs to room 5. Open wall to wood stairs goes to room 16. The lower walls are only partially there.

18 ) Odd shaped room. Five floor drains. Stairs down from room 8. Stairs up to room 19. Stone door leads down stone steps to room 22. A stone bridge is apparently crossing just the stone floor. The characters might hear moving water. Like a small stream over rocks.

19 ) Rectangular room. Moans can be heard coming from the cage. Anyone in this room might hear 'water... please, water.' Small chest.

20 ) Stone archway leads up stone steps to room 9. Open wall area leads down to room 21. The steps change direction twice.

21 ) Open area room. Table with a red cushion chair and a plain chair. Candelabra on the table. Two crates nearby. 

21B ) Toadstools are growing here. The minotaur likes the smell.

21C ) Five bridges go over five rectangular holes in the floor. Or are they an illusion ? One small group of deadly mushrooms. Two shelves. Two chests. A table with two chairs, candelabra, food trays, meat cleaver and cutting board. Wood door leading down some short steps to room 25.

22 ) Walls on two side are 20 feet high. The other two walls are one foot high. Two stalagmites frame a floor drain. Two toches lit up a coffin and two floor drains. Three wooden crates. A coffin in another part of the room.

Open area leads down double stairs to room 23. Stone door leads down steps to room 24B. Anyone in this room can see the steps going downwards.

23 ) Open spaces drop off to the fog and ice below. Door to room 23B is secret and the walls are 20 feet high. Room 23B has a roof. Walking anywhere in this room is dangerous. The walls shown are 20 feet high.

The 20 foot high room with a window above the door is where the minotaur rests. The torches flicker in a wind that seems to come from nowhere.

23B ) Secret room. 3 wood crates. The treasures of the minotaur's victims.

23C ) Steel door into the room from room 23. Two beds, both are traps. A small cold fire pit, not used in many years. The wood window opens and anyone looking through can see the fog and ice below. Don't look too long, as a trap will doom the character. Wood door leads to a rope bridge to room 24G.

24 ) All four walls are 20 feet high. Has a roof. A number of stalagmites. Chest. Dark room.

24B ) All walls are 20 feet high. No roof. Steps lead up to room 22. If a character tries to bust down the wood door, they could fall to the ice and fog below. A stone passageway leads to the rest of the rooms in area 24, except room 24G.

24C ) All walls are 20 feet high. Has a roof. One shelf. Clean good water in the barrel. Two potted plants. The pottery could be worth a few gold. Table with food and a candelabra.

24D ) Three walls are 10 feet high. Door above is a drop from room 27. Contains two comfy chairs. Three nice chairs. A candelabra on a table. A stalagmite and a drain. Two barrels with moldy water in them.

24E ) Walls are 10 feet tall. Rough floor. Stone archway to room 24D. Flimsy wood crate. Floor drain. One wall is open.

24F ) A wood door, portcullis, and a stone door are the entrances. A floor drain has a glow behind it that looks like red eyes.

24G ) Ten foot walls, no roof. A flickering torch. Burns steadily when the minotaur is nearby. Two metal cook pots. One large crate. Opening in the stone wall to room 24B.

25 ) Wood door leads up to room 21C. Gap in the wall. Nice chair. Several rock piles. Portcullis blocks path to room 26. Two walls are open to the fog and ice below.

26 ) A rectangular floor, no walls. A rope bridge goes back to room 25.

27 ) A wood door that requires a grapnel hook and rope to get down to the room 24D. or the characters can jump, not recommended.

[Deleted User]MonsenLautiGlitchWyvernRicko Hasche
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2022

I ran spell check. Fcw and text in a zip.

bad fcw deleted by me.