Isometric and Top Down View for Small Cottage

RorrikRorrik Newcomer

Hello. I've had CC3+ for a while, but I've hesitated to do much with it besides viewing and using the maps that came with it. I'd like to jump in with something simple but want to make it high quality if I'm not going to just draw it by hand.

So here's what I'm thinking, a cottage, 20 feet by 10 feet. I'd like to get a top down map of the inside, an isometric view of the exterior, and possibly an isometric view of the interior. I've seen some castle maps in-program that do this well, but when I use the castle tools I don't find things as small scale as a cottage.

I've attached my concept sketches. I'd just like to know where to start, what tools to use, if this is feasible as a first project, etc. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2022

Both of those should be easy enough to do, depending on what products you have.

For the cottage, any dungeon style should do, but Symbol Set 4 do come with Schely's forlorn cottage set, so if you have SS4, that's probably a good option. If not DD3 also works fine. But even without any additional add-ons, you have access to several dungeon styles, such as the Jon Roberts dungeon, or the more limited CC3 dungeon.

The isometric view do require Perspectives 3 to pull of properly. Check the essentials guide to get started, or if you also have the Tome, you can check out the first Perspectives tutorial there.

Loopysue
  • RorrikRorrik Newcomer

Thanks for the kick off. I have Perspectives 3, but not SS4. I started in on the isometric view and have struggled to get the thatch roof to look good, as well as to get the below-ground door to be over the sunken wall, but under the ground in front of it.

I intend to start over and be more careful with the scale.

JimPLoopysue