There any master printable lists of symbols?

I'd like to know how to print or view all the symbols from each catalog. The project I'm working on it would help to know which set to load. I don't want the same city design for each country.

Octorilla

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited March 2022

Hi :)

If you open the catalogue file (that's the [Foldername].FSC file usually visible in the parent folder of the [Foldername] containing the symbols), you can export an FCW file with all the symbols arranged neatly and ready for printing using the "Create catalog thumbnail file..." option.

In this example I created a Test.FCW file on my desktop which looked like this when opened.

The blank space at the top left is a drawtool and not a symbol, so it's name is there but the sample line is not.

I then exported a jpg bitmap from this and got this result (this is only a 500 px export to preserve the copyright on these symbols on the forum, but you can set it any size you prefer using the Options button in the Save as dialog.

This works for each catalogue at a time, but it doesn't take too long to do, and if you print each one you can make a reference book of them for yourself.

Glitchroflo1OctorillaAleD
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    I do a couple of additional calibrations. First is to make sure to set the color to something obnoxious so the varicolor stands out a little better. Second, I set the text size down to 2, as there are some sets where the names overlap otherwise.

As a point of information, there are some sets where the varicolor doesn't seem to work. There were some other little oddities here and there, but can't find my notes from last summer when I was working on this.
    Octorilla