Create Mound from Selection started malfunctioning

I've been making islands and whatnot with the Create Mound from Selection tool. Everything was going well until last night, when it went haywire.

Figure below is an example island where I used set land offset to 500 ft.

Then I tried Create Mound from Selection using Add

Create Mound from Selection using Replace

Finally Create Mound from Selection using Subtract

The last looks like what Add was doing until about 8pm last night. Before that I found that Paint Values: Land Offset -1000ft was actually adding to the land offset with every stroke.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Here are pictures of the actual island I was working on.

First, island is flat at altitude of 500ft.

Next, Island after Create Mound Replace

Island after Create Mound Add

Island after Create Mound Subtract

Editing resolution is set to 16000 which is reflected in the large island to the left. The smaller island I'm working on looks as though the effective resolution is way lower than that.

JimP
  • So, I restarted FT3+: no effect. Restarted the computer: no effect. Opened a new random file and drew an island. Set altitude to 500ft.

Create Mound (2, 10, 0% noise, default profile--same as rest) Replace

Peak altitude is ~150,000 ft.

Create Mound Add

Peak altitude is ~200,000 ft.

Going to try re-installing FT3+

• Re-installing: no effect. The Create Mound Add was even worse: island went to ~300,000 fit with the above conditions. Tried 0.5, 2.5, 0% Add and it still peaked at 34,000 ft with a new world new file. With the file I'm working on it produces reasonable heights but the shapes are way off.

I'm completely out of ideas and need some help.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Does it work with an editing resolution of 8190? There may be problems with that feature on small selections with large editing surfaces.

• Will look at that tomorrow. But it was working with much smaller selections than that. It seems location dependent: in some locations Create Mound Subtract does what Add should do; other locations produce the low res shape. New world new file produces the gigantic elevations. It seems like some underlying settings file is corrupt, but presumably the reinstall should have fixed that. I might try turning prescale offset editing off.

If something doesn't fix it FT3 will be unusable for me.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Definitely looks like a bug. I have a fix for it, but it won't be out until the next FT release.

• I tried reducing the editing resolution to 8190: no effect. Pre-scale offset editing: no effect.

Here is an island on the other side of the big island after setting elevation to 500 ft.

Then Mound Replace

Undo then Mound Add

Undo then Mound Subtract

The Mound Subtract looks like what Mound Add should be.

Now here is an island across the world, so to speak. Same thing first set elevation to 500 ft.

Then Mound Replace

Looks fine. Undo then Mound Add.

Looks fine. Undo then Mound Subtract.

In this location Create Mound does exactly what is expected.

As a comparison with the original island of interest. Here is it immediately after simple create.

Which looks broadly similar to one of the Create Mound attempts below. It's in the vicinity of the large island that weird things happen.

JimP