How do I create walls that do not cross into half or more of the floor square?

I am attempting to make dungeon maps for roll20. I want the walls to be confined to within a 5' map square to facilitate laying down dynamic lighting lines. I also do not want the walls to take up floor space where the floor edge squares are available as a 1/2 or some fraction of a floor square. I came up with a hack.

Dungeon SS 2B style

I moved the walls sheet above the floors. But this creates a problem for putting doors down.

Looking for suggestions.

Visual aide supplied. This is what I achieved. I'm not totally happy with my hack. It makes putting doors and symbols down a little harder.

Best Answers

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited February 2022

If your walls are 5ft wide, you can use the midway snap point of the 5 foot snap grid with 2 snapping points to draw them 2.5 feet outside the floor. Because the line of the wall is in the dead centre of the wall, this will move the whole wall outside the floor.

If you are using the Room and Corridor drawing tools that just means you need to draw the rooms 2.5 feet outside the floor space you want, and the corridors must be 5 foot wider to displace the walls outwards by 2.5ft on both sides.

The red line is where I drew the wall on the half way snap points

Accepted Answer

Similarly, if you want 2.5 foot wide walls you will need to edit the 5ft snap grid (right click the Snap button to do this) and make 4 snap points instead of 2, then draw your room 1.75 ft larger than you want it on the first snap point outside the boundary of the floor space.

Or for 2 ft wide walls you need to use the 5 snap 5 ft grid.

GlitchJimProflo1AleD
  • Thank you Sue! You are accomplished artist so thanks for taking time to answer my question. I kind of thought the answer would fall where you went. I have to learn to think differently while mapping.

Loopysue
    edited February 2022 Accepted Answer

Thank you, and you're welcome :)