FT3+ Seasonal Variation in Rainfall and Temperature

Howdy all,

As an avid worldbuilder and cartographer, I'm always looking for new tools to facilitate my hobby (as I'm sure we all are). I've used FT3, and now FT3+, off and on for a while now and I'm often impressed with its functionality. However, one thing I miss when using it is data for the seasonal variation in both temperature and rainfall.

Is this currently implemented in FT3+ and I'm just missing it? And if not, has there been any thought given to adding it in future release?

Cheers

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

The climate model in FT is based on average annual temperature and rainfall. The average temperature is computed from four orbital points representing approximate seasonal variations. The individual points used to compute the average are not available to the user. Those points assume that temperature is roughly proportional to insolation, if I recall correctly. The lack of heat flow via atmosphere and hydrosphere is a major limitation of FT's climate model.

Adding visibility of climate parameters is a long-term goal, but it really requires a better climate model to make the effort worthwhile.

EMorelock