making a game map from a historical map

This is more of a question, but I didn't know how to frame it in a brief question. I want to create a map for a wargame. I have a 1:16000 scale historical map that has all the proportions right for hills and roads etc., but I want to use my own graphics and symbols.

It seems to me that I ought to be able to add the historical map on the bottom layer, add roads and my specific elements over the map, and then delete the historical map. Is this possible? Any advice? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• It seems to me that I ought to be able to add the historical map on the bottom layer, add roads and my specific elements over the map, and then delete the historical map. Is this possible?

You'd need a bitmap image version (BMP, PNG or JPG) of the map you could import into the CC3+ drawing on one of the lower Sheets, and then resize it to fit the size of map you're intending to draw, but yes, this is eminently practical.

To import the bitmap, make a new Sheet and a new Layer both called BITMAP in the FCW file you'll be working with, and make sure both are checked to be the active Sheet and Layer.

Then to import the bitmap, use the drop-down "Draw" menu, and click on "Insert File". Navigate to wherever your file is stored, click on it and click OK.

You'll then have it on the cursor in your map. Click once to secure its top left corner, and then move the cursor to enlarge the bitmap to the size you need, and click again to finish the command.

You might find it helps to set up a snap grid of a size to be useful in finalising the bitmap size, and make use of that during the import process.

You can then check the image size is correct by using the CC3+ measuring tools against items of known sizes on the image. You can rescale the size of the drawing very precisely after import too, if necessary.

And if you get stuck, just ask again on the Forum!

One final thought. You might like to check around on the Forum for topics created by @mike robel who's done a lot of high-quality work of exactly the kind you're wanting to do, specifically to create board wargame maps using CC3+.

ScottAmike robelJimPLoopysueMike Strand
  • I commonly do this. I import the map on a seperate layer. I then use it as a guide to draw everything. I then hide that layer when exporting.

Mike Strand