CD3 Flex

Of all the add-ons I use, CD3 has always been the most frustrating for me. I've never been able to translate vision into end product. Every time there's a new city post, I'd get excited and inspired to try again, and EVERY time... I feel like I made a breakthrough this weekend (I've owned it for more than a decade and this is the most competent collection of buildings I've done).

I always started with laying the roads and then trying to place buildings around them. It never looked 'right' or natural. This time I started with the buildings and let the roads form around them:

It's a small, trade block on the riverfront, a couple warehouses, a few inns and taverns, some high-class areas and some poor areas as well (I tried to cram in as much to prove to myself I could make a story of this block)

As always, comments and criticisms welcome :)

JimPLoopysueScottAkristof65MonsenRalfGlitch[Deleted User]DaltonSpenceWyvernand 6 others.

Comments

• Yeah, I think cities were the hardest thing for me to master when I first got into CC3+. But one day it all just clicked and now cities are actually my favorite maps to make! Just keep at it. This looks really good.

roflo1
  • 8 days later
  • I am going through my own efforts to tackle the program seriously and get it right after over 10 years of owning it. Truthfully, I think it may be closer to 20 years. Dungeon Designer was my biggest stumbling block among the 3 main programs, but with the support of the reference materials available, videos, and the community here, I am finally seeing some improvement. Keep practicing and trust yourself. I think the standard instruction for cities is to lay down the roads first, and I had a similar problem with a city style never working for me. It wasn't until I placed the walls and buildings first instead that it clicked for me. I am not recommending that you ignore guides and instructions entirely, but sometimes we have to find a way into making the map that works best for us.

And I really like your map.

• I really like this ! it looks wonderful !

I will take a new look at some of my maps to let the buildings go in before the roads, I really like the dead ends and alleys this creates