Adding permanent sheets to templates

I followed an old Joe Sweeney tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M8vLJEDk0&list=PLX_qe1x-2Ys6J8_rCaX0MLbeDKvSEDuxZ&index=12 ) to make several new default terrain tools for custom political borders.

When using the custom political border terrains (say A, B, C, D), they do automatically create the new sheets I specified (PolBorderA, PolBorderB etc), but these sheets do not contain the Effect I need to place on them. Is there a way to attach certain effects to a sheet if I want these political border options available each time I make a new map - or do I just need to manually add the effects each time (which really isn't a big deal; I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of CC3 right now). Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

You can edit the template the map is based on and add the sheets and effects there. This will also allow the sheet ordering to be set up as desired. This only affects new maps created from the template though, not existing maps.

Or, you can from any map save the effects presets. This saves the current sheet list and effects into a named preset which you can load (but does not preserve sheet ordering). This can be used with existing maps, but be aware that selecting a new preset replaces all the effects in the map, it doesn't add to them.

• moskthescribemoskthescribe Newcomer
    edited February 2022

Got it - thanks - that's helpful, though I'm hitting a small glitch.

I added my sheets with the effects they should have. Then saved as a preset. (and also created a new preset with slightly different name)

When I create a new map now and add my custom political border terrain, the effects are still not initially added.

But if I open the political border A sheet and click on the dropdown next to presets, I will get a popup that allows me to add missing sheets (Pol Border B, C, and D) and the effects get added. I could easily put this step in my workflow so not a big deal.

But should those effects automatically come in when a new map is created? Or is it expected that you would have to go through the manual step described above. (Note, once I add one Political Border, all four of my custom terrain tools have their effects added and activated, so I do not have to do for each one).

EDIT - reading your first reply more carefully, it looks like this is indeed the expected behavior with presets. I'll try creating and modifying a template next, which is what I initially had in mind. Thanks.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Yes, with presets, you must apply them manually to each map. But the advantage it that it can be done with existing maps, and not just with apply to new maps.

moskthescribe