Is there a way to alternate letter color in the same word?

Suppose you have a WORD on your map. You want each letter to be a different color. I know I can just put in each letter separate. I can also export the file and change each letter in GIMP. But I wanted to know if there is a way to do it in CC3?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2022

As far as I know, you would have to color and place one letter. Exit text. Click on the text icon right side again, set the color, fill in the popup one letter, place it. Exit text. Repeat.

I dknt know of a way in cc3+ to change each letter to a different color otherwise.

Edit. On my cell and may have misworded that, but you get the idea.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited February 2022

Text attributes like font, size, and color are part of each text entity, so to change parts of some text to a different set of attributes requires a different text entity.

The simplest way to get a group of individual characters is to use Draw>>Text along a curve (ATTC command on the command line) with a line for the curve. The text will be grouped, so use Tools>>Groups>>Ungroup (UNGROUP command) to separate out the individual letters. Change the properties for each character that you're interested in with something like Edit>>Change Properties (MPEDIT command). After you're done changing the text properties use the REGROUP command to regroup all of those characters back into the group that ATTC created.

The hardest part of using ATTC is that the text is spaced along the whole length of the curve. To get the right length, you might need to create text and then draw the baseline, delete the original text, and use ATTC again.

JulianDracos
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

You can also use 'Explode Text' (Right click Explode) and then setting groups to unlocked (the button at the lower right of the screen). Now you can color individual letters. This may be easier than the text along a curve option, BUT the downside is that the text is no longer letters at all, but polygons, so it can no longer be changed using the text editing tools. Lock groups again when done.

JulianDracos