"Open Pit Mine"

Good evening all,

I'm trying to construct an open pit mine in a forest clearing and can't seem to quite puzzle through the how. Here's what I'd like to do:

Multiple sheets, each one is a different 'level' of the mine.

From a elevation perspective the highest level should cast a shadow over the level 'beneath' it

The dilemma: The 'lowest' elevation of the mine sits on the sheet above it. So, when I add a directional shadow instead of creating a 'hole' it gives a 'hill' feel (Pic below)... As always, thanks for the insight and advice!

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2022

I would do the shades of gray under bitmap fills. A 10.bmp for the second one. And a 30 for the deepest.

The glows,what it looks like to me, makes raised instead of sunken.

They should also be on a different sheet for each level.

So it would be

Light brown

10 gray bmp

30 gray bmp

Then text sheet.

There are several discussions about pit here. I think z search on pit will show more ideas. On my cell phone so a bit hard to check and post.

Edit. I checked and search for deep pit for examples.

• I'm thinking color key may be the answer here. On each floor level use a color keyed polygon to show the floor below it. That way the shadow effect would be cast on the lower level.
    Glitchjonasgreenfeather
  • @DaltonSpence I agree the color key is a good approach here. I was playing around awhile back creating a battlemap with pits: