Format of .BIN files

For importing external map data .BIN files are used. I have the problem that the maps I need are in a different format. Therefore, I am interested in any information about this import format. Thanks for your support!

Arno

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you open the file type dropdown when you go for the binary file, you will see that you can also import mdr files. Does that help?

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Assuming something in the Fractal Terrains product line, height data can be stored in a .BIN file as an uncompressed binary raster file, optionally with a header. You describe the raster and the (optional) header information in the "Binary Data" dialog.

As Sue mentioned, you can import a Wilbur .MDR file directly from that dialog without having to describe it in the Binary Data dialog.

In theory, it will automatically read the size information stored in a grayscale .BMP (Windows bitmap) file as well if it's an 8-bit grayscale file.

If you have a .HDR file (format used by GTOPO30) in the directory next to a selected .BIN file (as happens with GTOPO30), it should also be able to read that information directly as well.

Note that I haven't used the BMP or HDR stuff for many years now, so I can't verify that they work correctly.

What format are you interested in importing?

Loopysue
  • Thanks a lot. Meanwhile I found my data as ASCII (longitude,latitude,altitude). Unfortunately I do not understand the Binary Data import dialog 🙈.